Concrete pavers are attractive, eye-catching, and at the same time very expensive construction.
No matter how high-quality pavers you have on the walkways, still, it can be damaged due to water absorption and weather issues.
If you are thinking about getting a sealant to protect them from damage, you are in the right place.
Among countless options, I have come with top concrete paver sealer reviews that stand quite firmly against weather and water.
Also, if you are to restore the beauty or want a slight color enhancement, you can go for such an option as well.
Concrete Paver Sealer Reviews in 2020
The list includes sealers of different types so that you can pick one that suits your surface material the most and provides better results.
#1. Foundation Armor 5 GAL Armor AR500 High Gloss Solvent Based Concrete Sealer
- Penetrating high solids, breathable solvent based acrylic coating with unmatched bonding characteristics.
- Durable, long lasting. Stands up to abrasion, UV rays, hot tire pick up, hot and cold temperatures.
- Long lasting high gloss finish provides up to 2-5 years of life on a two coat application before the need for a recoat. Will bring out color in dull and faded surfaces.
- Can be used on poured concrete, stamped concrete, concrete pavers, aggregate, and more.
- Can be used on unsealed surfaces, or on surfaces previously sealed with a solvent based acrylic.
- Acrylic solvent-based sealer
- Resists freeze-thaw, de-icing salt, and UV damages
- High gloss finish
- Long-lasting formula
- Breathable sealer
5 GAL Armor AR500 High Gloss Solvent Based Acrylic Concrete Sealer and Paver Sealer
- Attractive glossy finish
- Protections against water, stain, and chemical damages
- Doesn’t turn yellow
- Prevents cracking
- Withstands hot and cold temperatures
- Can be used on various concrete surfaces
- Strong odor
- Coverage isn’t much efficient as advertised
If you want to enhance the color of the concrete surface, this solvent-based sealer can provide a high gloss finish to change how it looks.
Unlike conventional ones, it doesn’t turn the surface yellow due to sunlight; its UV resistant properties handle this issue well.
Whether you are worried about water or stain, the product will make your concrete surface water, stain, de-icing salt resistant.
It also provides protection against chemical elements for convenience.
If concrete dusting and deterioration bothers you, this sealant is the right one to pick.
You can fully change the color of a faded surface and bring back the beauty of applying this sealer.
It darkens the surfaces a bit and provides a wet appearance that looks very pleasing to the eyes.
The glossiness it provides is long-lasting; regardless of the traffic and abuses, it will hold its beauty for longer.
You are recommended to give two coats for better results and make it last longer.
Once applied properly, it will last 2 to 5 years before it requires recoating.
The sealer takes 24 hours to dry completely.
You can conveniently apply it on various concrete surfaces even on unsealed ones.
If you are to apply the sealer to large pavers, patio, driveways, walkways, etc. this 5-gallon deal will be very cost-efficient for you.
It provides impressive high gloss finish to the surfaces while protecting against elements.
#2. SuperSeal 2000 Concrete Coatings
- Interior/Exterior Use
- Gloss "Wet Look" Finish
- Enhances Color
- VOC Content: 99-599g/l (Meets most states' VOC requirements)
- Solvent-based acrylic sealer
- Provides glossy wet finish
- For both interior and exterior use
- Great looking wet finish
- Restores color fading
- Easy to apply
- Efficient coverage
- Dries quicker
- Has a strong smell
- Requires yearly recoating
Want to protect your precious pavers while giving a wet glossy finish?
This sealant can be the right one to pick without breaking the bank.
A lot of solvent-based sealants tend to turn yellow after a few weeks of usage.
Thankfully, this doesn’t happen to SuperSeal 2000.
No matter how sunny the sun is, there will be no yellowing or color fading whatsoever.
You can also use it for interior purposes as well if you don’t bother it’s the chemical odor.
The formula is waterproof; therefore, you no longer need to worry about day to day spillage.
Its water repellent ability is decent considering what it costs.
Apart from concrete, you can also apply it on stone, cementitious, and other surfaces with great convenience.
The sealer provides a true wet appearance to the surfaces that looks stunning.
If you are to treat very old pavers, it will surely restore some of the faded beauty.
Unlike the conventional ones, the finish doesn’t feel slippery.
Also, even though it looks wet after applying, it’s neither too shiny.
Compared to its competitors, this one dries quite faster than expected.
You don’t have to wait for too long to give the surface another coat if needed.
The product primarily focuses on providing an attractively glossy finish to the surface.
If pavers don’t conduct with water that much, it’s worth considering buying.
However, there will be no issue for it to handle day to day water issues.
#3. RadonSeal DryWay Water-Repellent Concrete Sealer 5 Gallons
- Water-Based Silane & Siloxane for Concrete, Brick, Block, Pavers, and other Porous Masonry.
- Non-Film Forming. Clear/Matte Finish. Non-Slip. For Indoor or Outdoor Use
- Unbeatable Service Life. Up to 7-Years of Protection.
- Excellent Water-Repellency. Prevents Damage Caused by Salts and De-Icing Chemicals.
- For Patios, Driveways, Pool Decks, Garages, Shop Floors, Sidewalks and Walkways
- Water-based silane & siloxane sealer
- Provides clear/matte finish surface
- De-icing salt resistant
- Dries within 4 hours
DryWay Water-Repellent Concrete Sealer
- Great water repellency ability
- Keeps the natural look of the surfaces
- Fast drying
- Zero chemical odor
- Requires recoating every 1 to 2 years in cold areas
- Stain repellency isn’t that great
Just finished with the pavers, and want to protect them without ruining the natural appearance of your driveway?
This water-based sealer can be an ideal protector for such cases.
Also, if you want to prevent water damage on a bit older paver, this formula will bring you great results as well.
Its effective waterproof formula repels water absorption from surfaces and prevents causing any damage.
Also, you no need to bother about salt and de-icing chemicals during the winter season, as it can resist them effortlessly too.
Apart from the water repellency, it works great to repel day to day stains as well.
So, you can apply it on the driveway with great convenience.
Unlike conventional sealers, the finish doesn’t turn yellow or fades due to UV effects.
Its UV resistance properties ensure you of protecting the true colors of the concrete as well.
It takes between 2 to 4 hours to completely dry.
With per gallon of sealer, you can efficiently cover up to 200 square ft. of concrete surface.
As it’s water-based, the surface will not be slippery after you apply it.
More so, the formula doesn’t contain any harmful fume which adds more to its user-friendliness.
So, you can use the sealer for interior purposes with great convenience as well.
Overall, it’s a great water-based sealer to protect the concrete from water damage while keeping the true color of the surface.
If you live in a very cold area, it may require more coating, and consider recoating every year to keep it optimum.
#4. MasonryDefender 2.5 Gallon Penetrating Concrete Sealer
- CLEAR PROTECTION – Provides a long-lasting, non-glossy invisible coat to concrete surfaces. Will never leave any residue or alter the color or appearance of your concrete driveway, sidewalk, or patio. Masonry waterproofer that will last for up to 5 years
- WATER REPELLENT – Water-based eco-friendly silane/siloxane rain guard penetrating concrete sealer that bonds with the minerals in concrete and masonry to provide with you long-lasting water protection. The breathable sealer causes the water to bead instead of seeping into the concrete
- POWERFUL CONCRETE SEALER – Keep your driveway looking new and protect it or other concrete surfaces from pitting or cracking. Best suited to protect against ice melt salts or chloride ions, freeze thaw damage, efflorescence stains, while also resisting mildew and fungus build up
- EASY TO APPLY – First step is to ensure your concrete surface is fully cleaned and clear of dirt, dust, grease, oil, efflorescence, etc. Use a low-pressure pump-up garden sprayer to evenly coat your driveway. Avoid puddling or ponding. 1 gallon will give 90-150 sq.ft. of coverage
- 3 YEAR WARRANTY – MasonryDefender offers a 3 Year Limited Warranty on Horizontal Concrete Surfaces
- Water-based silane siloxane sealer
- Waterproof formula
- Freeze-thaw and de-icing salt resistant
- Clear protection
- Prevents deterioration
MasonryDefender 2.5 Gallon Penetrating Concrete Sealer
- Effectively beads water
- Doesn’t alter the color
- Breathable and non-film forming
- Easy to apply
- Prevents cracks
- Leaves dark spots
This water-based sealer can protect your concrete paver, driveways, walkways, and more without altering the surface color.
The sealer deeply penetrates and creates a bond with the mineral and masonry, and effectively bead water.
No matter how hard it rains, water cannot seep into the concrete whatsoever.
Freeze-thaw and de-icing salt can damage concrete and cause cracking or pitting on the surface.
You no longer need to worry about after applying this sealant to your pavers.
It’s freeze-thaw and de-icing salt resistant that prevents water from going into the concrete to make cracks.
The pavers will also be protected from efflorescence stains, fungus, and mildew build-ups for convenience.
So, your pavers will get solid protection from water damage as well as various elements.
Although the sealer doesn’t entirely change the color like solvent sealers, this one brings a minimal color alteration that enhances the beauty and makes the surfaces cleaner.
There will be no glossiness on the pavers at all; your driveway and walkway will look newer.
The applying sealer is quite easy.
All you need is a low-pressure sprayer to coat the surfaces.
You can cover 90-150 square feet per gallon depending on the surface materials.
The drying time is only 6 hours, and it requires 24 hours to be able to withstand car traffic.
This one of the best water-based sealers on this paver sealer review.
If you want to keep the natural look and add a protective layer to prevent water damage, it will bring great value for the money.
#5. EnduraCoat EnduraSeal 100% Acrylic Wet Look Semi-Gloss Concrete Sealer
- 100% pure acrylic, high performance lower odor solvent sealer
- Produces a semi gloss "Wet Look" to just about any type of subtrate
- Highly durable for a fraction of the cost of Urethane & Epoxy sealers.
- Non-yellowing formula (Doesn't yellow the surface in time)
- Lower odor than most solvent based sealers on the market
- Acrylic solvent-based sealer
- Non-yellowing formula
- Low odor
- Wet and low gloss effect on surfaces
- 5 Gallon
EnduraSeal 100% Acrylic Wet Look Semi-Gloss Concrete Sealer
- Nice looking low gloss effect
- Doesn’t make the surface yellow
- Great color enhancing formula
- Restores colors on old concretes
- Very low odor
- Great coverage
- Takes longer to dry
- Leaves cloudy effect on surfaces
Some people prefer giving their concrete surfaces in between no gloss and high gloss effect.
For those, this solvent-based sealer can be an ideal one to pick as it provides a wet semi-gloss effect on the surfaces.
The sealer can enhance the beauty of the concrete surfaces and restore the faded ones to some extent.
Also, the surfaces will be protected from elements that can be damaging to the concrete.
Unlike cheaper sealers, this one doesn’t turn yellow when it comes to sun exposure, you can rest assured about this matter.
If you are to apply it to new pavers, it will help to stabilize the joints.
Solvent-based sealers contain strong and long-lasting odor.
Even though the sealer is based on solvent too, there is fairly less odor compared to other of its kind.
So, you can make your pavers look wet without being bothered much by the chemical odor.
The applying sealer is quite easy.
It can conveniently cover up to 300 square feet depending on the surface material and weather.
It’s recommended to give two thin coats to get the best results.
If you are to compare the price and longevity with urethane and epoxy sealers, you will find this one much efficient in all aspects.
Considering the price, it’s a great low gloss solvent-based sealer for concrete pavers, patios, driveways, and more.
This is one of those solvent sealers that don’t have a strong chemical odor.
If you primarily want to beautify the surface and the protection secondary, it can be a great buy.
#6. Quest Chemicals ToughCrete Concrete Sealer 1 Gallon
- IMPRESS YOUR NEIGHBORS FOR YEARS: ToughCrete concrete sealer is the #1 siloxane penetrating sealer for protecting your driveway, sidewalk, garage floor, patio, or any other concrete surface. Unlike cheap acrylic concrete sealers, which only last about one year and usually don’t provide a full seal, ToughCrete penetrates deep into your concrete surface for 10+ years of protection from things like deterioration, water, and salt damage making it the best penetrating sealer.
- IMPROVED HOME VALUE : By protecting the life of your concrete driveway, sidewalks, patio, garage floor, and more allowing them to last longer, will help to improve the value of your home! Also works great as paver, block, cinder block, CMU, brick, chimney, and outdoor fireplace sealers.
- QUEST FOR BETTER HOME CARE: As a company, we build our products around a foundation of better home care for the average consumer. ToughCrete is a SAFE & Eco-friendly siloxane concrete penetrating sealer approved by the department of transportation. Made with the highest quality formula for complete protection.
- 10 YEARS TOUGH PROMISE: We know it works and we’re giving you 10 years to try it out. If you don’t like it, just let us know and we will provide a full refund.
- Water-based siloxane sealer
- Salt/efflorescence resistant
- Non-flammable, odorless
ToughCrete Concrete Sealer - 1 Gallon
- Great protective properties against water and stain
- Prevents cracking or pitting
- Good coverage
- Doesn’t provide good results if it’s not applied properly
Your driveways, garage floor, and pavers that take serious traffic require a durable sealer to protect the surfaces.
To help you out with this regard, ToughCrete water-based sealant offers great protection while keeping the natural color of the surfaces.
This sealer isn’t one of those products that partially seals the concrete.
ToughCrete deeply penetrates the concrete surface, and effectively beads water and stains.
No matter how hard it rains, the sealer repels rainwater without making any compromise.
Also, day to day stain isn’t an issue for this sealer to take care of.
Due to its de-icing salt resistant properties, it assures you that there will be no cracking issue whatsoever.
As it doesn’t allow the water to penetrate the surface; thus, the concrete doesn’t crack or pit.
As this one is a water-based sealer, there will be no added color on the surfaces; the concrete will look as natural as before.
If you are to apply this on a newly constructed surface, it will add a clear protective layer while keeping the natural look of it.
Also, the formula contains fairly less odor so that you don’t feel uncomfortable with it.
Compared to conventional sealers, this one will last much longer.
The sealer works great if you apply it correctly.
The protection gets much better when you apply a second coat.
1 gallon of this sealer can cover up to 600 square feet depending on the material that you are applying on.
You can expect it to last longer if the weather isn’t too harsh in your area.
#7. Foundation Armor AR350 Wet Look Concrete Sealer and Paver Sealer
- Penetrating high solids acrylic coating with unmatched bonding characteristics.
- Durable, long lasting, professional grade solvent based acrylic offering superior performance abilities.
- Satin sheen wet look finsih. Will bring out color in dulled substrates.
- Can be used on poured concrete, stamped concrete, concrete pavers.
- 1 gallon will cover up to 100 square feet in two coats.
- Solvent-based sealer
- UV-resistant non-yellowing
- Protection against freeze-thaw and salt damage
- Low gloss effect
- Durable sealer
Armor AR350 Wet Look Concrete Sealer
- Brings great color enhancement
- Effectively repels water and stain
- Prevents cracking
- Long-lasting and tough sealer
- Can be applied on various concrete surfaces
- Has a strong odor
- Takes longer to dry
Last but not least, this solvent-based sealer from Foundation Armor is for those who prefer giving their pavers a low gloss finish.
If you have a color faded walkways, pathways, or patio, it will effectively restore the lost beauty.
Apart from just enhancing the color of the concrete, it also creates a great protective layer.
The solvent deeply penetrates the concrete surface to create unmatched bonding to battle with water and stains.
Water has no chance of getting into the material no matter what.
Thus, you rest assured about cracking and pitting issues.
Its UV-resistant properties don’t make the surface look yellow after a few weeks.
If you live in a cold area, you don’t need to bother about de-icing salt and freeze-thaw issues; the sealer repels water and reduces the chance of cracking.
The sealer can withstand day to day car traffic on the driveways without much struggle.
It holds up decent against hot tires, hot and cold weather temperature, abrasion, and tough conditions.
You can easily apply the sealer using a sprayer or roller.
It takes 24 hours to dry and ready to take the second coat.
Allow the sealer to dry for 48 hours before introducing it to foot, vehicle traffic, and water.
Among all the wet look sealer reviews on this article, this one is considered for its great protective properties.
The color enhancement is also pretty admirable.
Most importantly if you are looking for something to protect the driveways, this is the right one to pick.
#8. Foundation Armor 5 Gal. SX5000 Penetrating Clear Solvent-Based Sealer
- Solvent based, breathable, low VOC, high solids Silane Siloxane sealer that can be used on unsealed interior and exterior, vertical and horizontal concrete, brick, pavers, flagstone, and slate.
- Approved by the Department of Transportation in several states as a penetrating concrete sealer for use on roadways and bridgedecks to reduce damage and deterioration caused by water absorption.
- Will maintain the natural, unsealed look and feel of the substrate. Won't leave behind a slippery surface film, won't change the look or color.
- Easy to apply with a pump sprayer! Two back-to-back coats will yield up to 7-10 years of protection!
- Contains up to 10X more active ingredients than competing products. Manufactured in the USA! No recycled or imported resins in our formulas!
- Solvent-based silane-siloxane sealer
- Resists freeze-thaw and de-icing salts
- Reduces 95% of water absorption
- Up to 7 to 10 years of durability
- Department of Transportation approved
5-Gal. SX5000 Penetrating Clear Solvent-Based Silane-Siloxane Concrete & Masonry Sealer,
- Effectively repels water
- Withstands mold, mildew, fungus, and other elements
- Easy to apply
- Doesn’t change the surface appearance
- Expensive option
- Contains strong chemical odor
Water isn’t the only thing that can damage your beautiful looking concrete pavers, there are some other elements that leave the thread to the construction.
To safeguard the surfaces of all types of damage, this solvent-based sealer offers some great protections that are worth considering.
The sealer can reduce water absorption up to 95% to keep the surface well-protected from water damage whether it be pitting, spalling, or cracking.
Its freeze-thaw resistance effectively repels water from penetrating the pavers and prevents internal cracking.
You can use this sealant even where the paver has to take a lot of snow during winter.
The formula has de-icing salt resisting properties that leave no room for salt and water to cause damage to your expensive walkways.
It also makes the surface alkali resistant, ensuring you about its color and beauty.
Even though it’s a solvent-based sealer, the surface will not feel slippery because it works from below the surface.
Also, there will be no discoloration due to the UV effect.
Once you apply the sealer, you no longer need to recoat again within 7 to 10 years.
It requires 24 hours to completely dry.
If you are to apply another coat, wait for 24 hours to get the best results.
If you are to protect the pavers from damage while not ruining the natural color much, definitely worth giving it a try.
Even though it’s a bit expensive compared to others, the results will surely impress you.
Related Reading: Paver Sealer Natural Look Guide.
What to Look for Before Buying?
To make no mistake and not ruining your expensive concrete pavers, be sure to check for the following things before you purchase a sealer.
Gloss or Natural Look
There are concrete sealers in the market that provide high gloss, low gloss, and natural look or no gloss effect.
It’s up to your choice and requirements which one you want to buy.
If you have newly constructed concrete pavers that you don’t want to ruin how it naturally looks, be sure to get a sealer that doesn’t alter the color.
However, if you are looking for a sealer to enhance an older or restore the beauty on a faded paver, you can either go with high or low gloss sealers.
High gloss effect will provide great color enhancement, while low gloss ones lie between natural and high gloss effects.
Not all the sealers are equal when it comes to protecting the surface from elements such as water, weather, etc.
If your pavers have to take a lot of rainwater, water spillage, stains, then make sure the one you are about to get, creates bonding while penetrating the surface.
Such sealers effectively bead water while not allowing them to get into the surface.
For cold areas, you will need a sealer with freeze-thaw and de-icing salt resistance so that there is no cracking or pitting.
However, some sealers also provide decent protection from dust, mold, mildew, and other elements.
Odor or Odorless
Solvent-based sealers are the ones that contain strong odor in the formula.
If you are highly sensitive to chemical odor and don’t want to enhance the surface color, get a water-based sealant.
However, solvent-based sealers are a must if you want to beautify the old and faded surfaces.
As far as the durability is concerned, water-based formulas last longer than solvent-based ones.
However, the longevity of solvent-based sealers isn’t that bad.
These will typically last up to 3 years depending on the brand, surface, and weather.
If you are looking for a cost-efficient sealer to cover more areas, go for a water-based option.
If you are to recoat once a year, still it will be a great value for the money.
Types of Paver Sealers
Pavers are made of different materials.
Also, sealers are of different types, and each one is formulated to apply on certain paver material to meet specific requirements.
They are primarily of 3 types.
Depending on your paver material and the outcome you want, get the one that suits your needs the most.
#1. Silane-Siloxane Based Paver Sealer
This is one of the most commonly used sealers, which is also known as water-based sealers among homeowners and professionals.
Sealers of this type penetrate paver surfaces and create a waterproof barrier to prevent water from getting into the material.
Homeowners mostly use water-based sealer because it doesn’t change the natural stone color.
Depending on the formula, it can last up to 10 years if there is no major damage to the pavers.
#2. Acrylic Based Paver Sealer
This type of sealer is also known as the solvent-based sealer.
The distinct characteristic of why people prefer it over water-based ones is because of the high or low and wet look finish that these sealers provide.
Acrylic-based sealers also hold up well against water damage.
The sealer penetrates the surface and forms a thin film to protect the stone or concrete.
Unlike silane-siloxane ones, these sealers completely stop deterioration.
Solvent sealants require recoating after 2 or 3 years to keep the beauty of pavers.
#3. Silicate Based Paver Sealer
People rarely use sealers of this type.
Silicate sealers create chemical reactions with the paver material to strengthen and improve the overall density of the concrete or stone.
However, these sealers tend to leave a white crystal layer on the pavers if not properly applied, which leaves no option but to remove the entire paver.
This is the reason why people don’t prefer using such sealers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Question #1. What is the best concrete paver sealer?
Answer: It’s quite difficult to point out a specific sealer as the best one.
However, there are some characteristics that tell you about reliability.
The best one for concrete paver prevents water from penetrating the concrete by repelling the water.
In results, water cannot cause any cracks, pitting, or any other damage to the surface.
Also, it will protect the surface from stain. The sealer will last for years without requiring you to recoat the pavers.
Question #2. Should concrete pavers be sealed?
Answer: Even though concrete pavers are quite expensive construction; concrete is prone to water damage.
If water gets into the concrete, it causes cracking or pitting, and make further damage to the pavers.
Also, by the day, the concrete fades its colors.
Therefore, using a sealer can protect from both water damage and color fading.
Question #3. Does sealing pavers make them darker?
Answer: Some conventional sealers tend to make the concrete a bit darker.
This shouldn’t bother you if you get a good quality sealer that assures you of not darkening the pavers.
Question #4. Can you use Thompson Water Seal on pavers?
Answer: Thompson Water Sealer is a water-based sealer that is primarily formulated for sealing wood materials.
Therefore, using it on concrete pavers will not bring any good, as the adhesive properties of wood sealer and concrete sealer differ a lot.
Question #5. How long do paver sealers last?
Answer: Paver sealers last for 1 to 10 years depending on the brand, paver material, weather, traffic, elements, and various factors.
Water-based sealers usually last longer than solvent-based ones.
If you choose a solvent or acrylic-based sealer, you will have to recoat the pavers once every 2 years.
Hopefully, the concrete paver sealer reviews help you to understand which one you need to protect your paver.
No matter whether you are to get one for a new or old paver, make sure it holds up good against water damage.