DISCLAIMER: THERE ARE AFFILIATE LINKS IN THIS POST. THIS MEANS THAT AT NO COST TO YOU, I WILL RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION IF YOU PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINK.
Are the trees in your backyard asking for a good trimming? But the right chainsaw is all you lack? Well, lucky for you, with the Craftsman chainsaw, you can easily cut, trim, prune branches, and trees of any thickness. On top of that, they’re known for their brilliant performance, comfortable engagement, and longevity.
With their extensive range, it’s easy to confuse which one to pick for your workload. In this article, we will review Craftsman chainsaw and present a buying guide to help you find the ideal one for you.
So, read on to learn the honest Craftsman chainsaw reviews. Also, make sure to go through our FAQ section to clear any doubt on the brand and its products. Our concise operation guide will help the beginners to get on to work.
Here are our top picked craftsman chainsaw at a glance:
1. Best Corded: CRAFTSMAN Electric Chainsaw, 16-Inch, 12-Amp – Compact size and powerful motor
12 Amp Motor, 16 inches Bar and Chain, Auto-Oiling, Tool-Free Chain Tensioning,
2. Best Budget Corded: CRAFTSMAN Chainsaw, 8-Amp, 14-Inch – Reliable chainsaw under the budget
8 Amp Motor, 14 inches Bar and Chain, Auto-Oiling, bolt-lock Chain Tensioning,
3. Best Cordless: CRAFTSMAN V20 Cordless Chainsaw, 12-Inch – Powerful option without cord or gas
4.0Ah Battery pack, 12 inches Compact design, Bubble Level for precision, Auto Oiling,
4. Best Gas: Craftsman CMXGSAMY426S 46cc 2-Cycle Full Crank 20-Inch Gas Powered Chainsaw – Best option for heavy-duty cuttings
46cc 2-cycle full crank gas engine, 20-Inch low kickback bar and chain, 3-point anti-vibration system, aluminum handle, Adjustable automatic oiler
What Are The Craftsman Chainsaw Types?
Craftsman is the brand which is known for its wide range of affordable yet durable products. With so many varieties, it’s easy to get confused about which one is the better buy? So, to narrow down, your choices get your facts right on what makes and models they’re offering. These are the types of Craftsman chainsaw currently available in the market:
- Corded Electric Chainsaw
- Cordless Electric Chainsaw
- Gas Chainsaw
- Pro-Series Gas Chainsaw
Corded Electric Chainsaw: These are excellent power tools to get your jobs done precisely with a lot less manual effort. Their only limitation is the lack of mobility. You’ll be only able to reach as far as your extension cord will allow you to. As long as portability isn’t an issue for you, it’ll serve your purpose requiring very little maintenance.
Cordless Electric Chainsaw: They provide the best power and portability, making them a convenient tool providing easy maintenance. It can also give you the best support to carry out the heavy jobs occasionally.
Gas Chainsaw: They run by 2 stroke power engine, so they need a lot of maintenance. But they come in with a wide range of sizes perfect for small to large-any woodcutting jobs. Besides, they are beginner-friendly and super long-lasting.
Pro-Series Gas Chainsaw: Their pro-series chainsaw is the tool that you can totally depend on. Craftsman pro series chainsaw reviews insist that it’s made to last and can carry out even the heaviest job easily with professional finishing.
Craftsman Chainsaw Reviews: [Top 5 Picks]
1. Best Corded: 16-Inch 12-Amp CRAFTSMAN Electric Chainsaw
- 12 Amp Motor - Powerful motor for tough cuts
- 16 inches Bar and Chain - Low kickback bar and chain
- Auto-Oiling - Built in oil window and no priming required
- Tool-Free Chain Tensioning - Easy to adjust chain for ideal cutting performance
- 3 Year Limited Warranty, refer to "Warranty & Support" section below for full details
This electric Chainsaw is our top favorite chainsaw in this Craftsman lineup because of its powerful 12-Amp motor and compact design. Its 16-Inch low-kickback bar allows you to clean-cut without requiring any priming. Moreover, the tool-free chain tension feature will help you adjust the chain and enhance your performance even better.
This saw is ideal for not only cutting small branches but also thick logs with ease. The 16-inch bars, with the help of a powerful motor, can cut up to 14″. It’s 6.9lb that’s reasonably lightweight. So, you can keep working for hours without any fatigue.
Its bar is designed to reduce kickbacks, so it puts you in great control to get the precise cut with less manual effort. Besides, the auto-oiling feature consistently lubricates the bar and chain. The visible window allows you to see when refills are required.
However, the chain can be tightened without any tools. The maintenance and storage are super simple, making it the best go-to tool for the homeowners and DIY enthusiasts.
- Extremely well-balanced weight
- Auto-oiling feature with oil-view window
- Tool-free chain adjusting
- Low kickback Bars
- Up to 14″ cutting capacity
- Has some issues with chain tensioning wheel
Summary: Craftsman electric chainsaw reviews claim that this model has an impressive capability and is made to last. So if you want a versatile tool to cut, prune your trees in the garden, or prepare your firewood, then this is for you. If you own a workshop and love to do woodcutting, this compact tool can be your ideal pick.
2. Best Budget Corded: CRAFTSMAN Chainsaw, 8-Amp, 14-Inch
- POWERFUL MOTOR: 8 Amp motor helps with those tough cuts
- COMPACT DESIGN: 14-In. compact design for cutting in small spaces
- AUTO-OILING: Built in oil window and no priming required
- BOLT LOCK CHAIN TENSIOING: Securely clamps the bar and chain for ideal cutting performance
- Power Source Type: Electric
This CRAFTSMAN Corded Electric Chainsaw CMECS614 is the best budget chainsaw in the Craftsman lineage that provides top-notch quality. Its compact design with a 14-inch design allows us to use it even in the small spaces. The powerful motor helps you to make even the toughest cuts with great ease. The 7.1 lb weight makes it extremely maneuverable and convenient to use.
It has every feature to make your cutting performance even better. The auto oiling feature helps you to get into the work without any priming. The see-through oil window allows you to know when it is the time to refill. Not to mention the bolt lock chain tensioning that securely clamps the bar and chain.
Whether you need firewood or cut, trim or prune limbs and branches, it’s the safest corded chainsaw you can buy without breaking the bank.
- Powerful motor for tough cuts
- Auto-oiling with built-in oil-view
- Bolt lock chain tensioning
- Easy to use and handy
- Overheats quickly
A tip: Never use waste oil or very thick oils. These may ruin your chainsaw. Avoid mineral oils, too, as it can harm the trees. Use this bar and chain oil for proper oiling.
Summary: If you’re looking for a budget-friendly electric chainsaw, then here it is for you, providing the best possible quality and durability. The Craftsman corded chainsaw reviews state this model is made to be handy and easy to operate. So, looking for an affordable, lightweight, and compact tool that can do it all? Just go for it and never regret it!
3. Best Cordless: CRAFTSMAN V20 Cordless Chainsaw, 12-Inch
- Part of the V20 cordless system
- Part of the versa-track wall organization system. Chain Pitch-3/8 inch
- High capacity 4. 0Ah Battery pack - for extended runtime
- Bubble Level - For precise and level cutting Auto Oiling - With tool free tensioning for minimal maintenance
- 12inches Compact design - for cutting in Small spaces
This Craftsman V20 12 inch Cordless Chainsaw is loved by the DIYers worldwide. It features the 4Ah powerful lithium-ion battery for extended runtime, enabling up to 60 cuts per charge. 12″ bar allows the cutting capacity to reach up to 10″ thick. It comes with an activated chain brake, that makes it the safest battery-powered chainsaw out there.
It has every useful feature to make your task easy yet perfectly precise. For accurate and level cutting, it provides a bubble level. Auto-oiling will lubricate the chain and bar with minimum possible maintenance.
It’s small, compact, and lightweight design will help you to work in lesser spaces. The buttons are comfortable to press and made to last. So, there’s no chance for them to stop working in freezing weather. It comes with a simpler pull. You can slide the bit in without pulling the collet.
The replacement parts are readily available, so you can forget worrying and take this portable tool with you wherever you want to. Just charge the rechargeable battery, and you’re good to go. It also comes with LED lights that reduce the shadow while doing the cutting task.
- High-capacity 4.0Ah Battery
- Bubble level for clean cuts
- Provides excellent portability
- LED light prevents shadows
- No need for priming
- Tool-free adjusting
- A bit expensive
- Not capable of heavy-duty tasks
Summary: If you’re really into DIYs or looking for a portable tool, then go for the Craftsman battery chainsaw. The Craftsman cordless chainsaw reviews claim it to be the most powerful option without cord or gas. Purchase it if you don’t mind the maintenance for charging.
4. Best Gas: Craftsman CMXGSAMY426S 46cc 2-Cycle Full Crank 20-Inch Gas Powered Chainsaw
- HIGH OUTPUT ENGINE: 46cc 2-cycle full crank gas engine with pro-grade chassis delivers steady power and is engineered to withstand tree limbing, pruning, cutting, and trimming tasks.
- EASY START AND COMFORTABLE ENGAGEMENT: Simple pull starts, cushioned full wrap aluminum handle, and 3-point anti-vibration system makes this chainsaw more balanced, maneuverable, and comfortable to operate.
- STEADY CONTROL: 20-Inch low kickback bar and chain, bucking spikes, and inertia-activated chain brake provide greater control. Maintain the comfortability and command needed to operate the chain saw.
- AUTOMATIC OILER: Adjustable automatic oiler is the bar and chain's best friend as it helps keep the bar and chain in quality condition to perform optimally.
- SIMPLE UPKEEP: Tool-free access to filter and spark plug. Carrying case included for easy storage and transport.
This model features a 46cc 2-cycle high output engine with pro-grade chassis providing the steady power to withstand tree trimming, pruning, cutting, and limbing. It’s equipped with easy start technology for simpler and more efficient pull starts. The 5-point anti-vibration cushioned full wrap aluminum handle makes it more balanced, maneuverable, and comfortable to use.
The 20-inch low kickback bar will give you steady control. You can even go through the most rigid wood easily and quickly. The bucking spikes and inertia-activated chain brake are there to provide you further support and greater safety. The automatic oiler that comes with it is the bar and chain’s best friend as it helps them be in quality condition and perform optimally.
The manufacturers kept the upkeep simpler. Tool-free access to filter and spark plug enhance its design to make cutting a breeze. On top of that, it comes with a heavy-duty carrying case for your carrying convenience and a 2-year warranty.
- Prolonged engine performance
- 5 point anti-vibration handle
- Automatic oiler
- Comfortable engagement
- Easy start
- Simple storage and transport
- Has oil-leaking issues
A tip: If you’ve left it unused for a long time, you might face some oil leaking issues. So store it in a plastic case emptying the oil gasket.
Summary: Craftsman CMXGSAMY426S 46cc 2-Cycle Full Crank Gas Powered Chainsaw is engineered to withstand the prolonged heavy-duty cuttings. Its low-kickback bars put the user in greater control. The large handle is made to be comfortable and maneuverable. So, if you’re looking for a heavy-duty tool that saves you from the trouble of charging, here it is.
However, if you find this model heavy to handle, you can try the more lightweight option- Craftsman 41AY4218791 S185 42cc Full Crank 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw-18-Inch Bar Craftsman 18 inch 42cc chainsaw reviews claim that it’s built keeping the user’s comfort in mind. So the manufacturer designed it to be handy with minimum user fatigue for prolonged use. It has all the useful features that the 46cc one has.
The Buying Guide for Craftsman Chainsaws
Before buying the chainsaw, consider these factors given below to short-list your choices. Pen down the features you would love to have. Go through the Craftsman chainsaws reviews section.
Safety is a major concern when you’re dealing with a chainsaw. It’s obviously a dangerous tool and must be treated as such. So, in your buying decision, you should pay safety as your topmost priority. Check for the tipped chain with an activated chain brake before making the purchase. Make sure it has a cover for transportation. Try to get the lightweight one as they cause less user-fatigue.
A larger handle which is designed to reduce vibration puts you in greater control. Usually, the cushioned full wrap aluminum handle is comfortable and maneuverable by maintaining a firm grip. Bucking spikes makes it well balanced and easy to operate. So check them all if you want to have a convenient tool for your yard work that gives you the perfect control over it.
If the machine’s bar is designed to be low-kickback, then it reduces the vibration while cutting and limbing. Trust us; this is the useful feature you want to check on before buying a chainsaw for getting the clean cuts.
The bubble-level precision helps to make the level cut. It’s an accurate, robust, and easy to operate chainsaw level indicator tool. This feature can be handy for even the experienced user while undertaking any tree felling process.
Before deciding on the purchase, analyze the workload you would be carrying out with the tool. Choose wisely, as your preference has a significant impact on the machine that’s suitable for you. For chainsaw, it’s not always bigger, the better. Larger bar is difficult to monitor and will tire you if you need to work for hours.
So, try to pick the lightweight one with a smaller bar with a powerful engine. The electric ones will help you from the hassle of the maintenance. Again, if you need portability, go for the cordless one.
Do you need to carry out heavy-duty tasks more often? Go for the powerful gas-powered one.
As we’ve mentioned earlier, chainsaw is a risky tool that needs to be handled with proper care. Before suggesting the perfect make and model, we need to know how much experience you have with the tool? The easy-start one auto-oiling with tool-free chain tensioning is super beginner-friendly. Also, tool-free access to filter and spark plugs are excellent for easy maintenance. We would also like to suggest for the newbies to get some practice cutting before you get into the job.
About Craftsman And Their Pro Series Chainsaws
Craftsman is the brand known for its reliable, durable and affordable products with a wide range of options. Their products have an unlimited lifetime guarantee without any hidden conditions. They have won the heart of the consumers by providing admirable customer support. You can send your machine to them for repairs or get the tools you need to fix it on your own.
Are you worried about your naughty kids gaining access to your chainsaw? Don’t worry, several models of them come with a protective case. So you can keep that in it while you store. This case will also allow you to carry it with you safely.
They’ve specially manufactured their Pro Series for professional cutting performance. The chainsaws of this series have a top-notch engine to cut through anything you come across. The Craftsman Pro Series 18″ Gas Chainsaw has it all- 42cc 2-cycle engine, sim-pull technology, auto-oiler, side screw tensioning tool-less filter replacement. So, whether it is your garden project or some DIY, finish right with this all-in-one tool.
How To Operate Craftsman Chainsaws?
Wear safety gear such as gloves, eye-mask, and earplugs. Keep any bystanders 10 meters away from the work area. Read the user manual to familiarize yourself with the controls and adjustments. Now, operate it with these simple steps:
- Fill the oil reservoir with Craftsman bar oil. For gas-powered one, add 40 part gasoline to 1 part 2cycle engine oil. Shake the container to mix.
- Cleanup the sawdust from the chain. Lubricate the chain if it’s not an auto-oiler. Prime engine by slowly pressing primer bulb 6 times.
- Slide the switch down to the “on” position.
- Place it on a flat surface. Hold it down firmly, keeping your left hand on top of the handle. Pull the starter cord until the engine initiates.
- Allow the motor to warm up. Squeeze and release throttle trigger to return the engine to idle speed.
- Squeeze the throttle trigger so the engine can reach the maximum speed before cutting. Now keep it running at full speed during the whole cutting time.
- Stop it before setting the saw down.
A tip: To avoid losing control when the cut is complete, at the end of the task, don’t pressurize the saw.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Who makes the craftsman chainsaw?
A: Most parts of the craftsman chainsaws are made by Husqvarna, the well-known manufacturers of top-notch and durable chainsaws. Also, the Craftsman brand is in collaboration with this Husqvarna group. So, in the future, you can expect more promising products with outstanding build and longevity.
- Is a craftsman a good chainsaw?
A: Yes, absolutely. They have earned popularity among the homeowners and DIYers by providing high-quality saws with excellent performance. You can finish any garden or backyard tree cutting, pruning, and trimming work with them. They have also introduced the pro series keeping the professional users in mind.
- Which is better, Husqvarna, or Craftsman?
A: Husqvarna is worldwide recognized for manufacturing the best chainsaws out there. It’s superior to any other brand in the market. But when it comes to affordable prices, Craftsman has to offer a wide range of variety. Again there’s a huge size difference between their products. Craftsman provides compact size well-balanced tools, while Husqvarna offers large heavy-duty tools.
- Are Poulan and Craftsman the same?
A: Well, Husqvarna owns the Poulan brands too. So, you may find the parts of Craftsman tools to be identical to the Poulan Pro.
Now, you’ve got Craftsman chainsaw reviews and learned the factors you need to check before making a purchase. So, have a keen look at your workloads, short-list your requirements, and get the one that perfectly matches your needs. Cut, trim, and prune any wood as you’ve always wanted to.