Owning a Nissan Altima makes your life easy with its excellent fuel economy estimates. You need to maintain the right midsize car with great care too. For example, to keep the engine smooth, frequently changing the spark plug is a must. If you are in search of quality spark plugs for Nissan Altima, you are in luck!
Spark plugs are the primary component you need to start the vehicle. The plug ignites the fuel mixture to create an explosion that makes your engine to generate power. Finding the best spark plug can do the job very efficiently. It is essential to choose the best cap as it’s going to keep the engine smooth.
In this article, we’re going to cover top 5 Nissan Altima spark plugs and crucial features you need to know before buying to help you choose from many available options.
Here are our top Recommended best spark plugs for Nissan Altima:
- Best Double Platinum: Autolite APP5683-4PK Double Platinum Spark Plug
- Best Iridium: QYL Set of 4 Iridium Spark Plugs
- Best Budget: Autolite AP5325 Copper Core Spark Plug
- Best Fuel-Efficient: NGK 6240 PLFR5A-11 Laser Platinum Spark Plug
- Honorable Mention: ENA Pack of 6 Spark Plugs
When To Change Spark Plugs Of Nissan Altima?
You will face unwanted situations with the car when spark plugs go bad. Nissan recommends going to servicing your vehicle after crossing 100,000 miles. Nissan Altima spark plug replacement schedule is a 105,000-mile mark and beyond. It still depends on how often you are using the car.
Dirty and fouled spark plugs can reduce the fuel economy of the vehicle. If you feel that you are going to gas stations too often, probably it’s time to change the plug. Also, when a spark plug gets fouled or dirty, it doesn’t spark effectively, resulting in sluggish acceleration.
The combustion process is hampered due to the dirty plugs. It can cause the engine to misfire instead of running smoothly. You may also hear a rough sound coming from the engine or feel the car vibration because of the faulty plug.
If you face any situation like the above, you need to change the existing spark plug with a new one. Even if one of the spark plugs is found dirty or faulty, you should replace all in sets. If you continue with fouled plug anyway, the problems will get worst eventually.
Best Spark Plugs For Nissan Altima: The Review
1. Autolite APP5683-4PK Double Platinum Spark Plug: Best Double Platinum
- Full platinum tips ensure virtually no gap erosion
- Works to optimize engine performance for a longer life and improved fuel economy
- Necked-down center electrode fires quicker and cleaner, with less voltage for easier starts and quicker acceleration
- High nickel alloy side electrode maintains precise gap
- Full copper core electrode provides better performance in all conditions
If you like to have platinum-plated spark plugs for your Nissan Altima, Autolite double platinum spark plugs are the best choice. These plugs provide platinum to platinum firing that eliminates gap erosion virtually, reduces misfires, and enhances the socket’s durability.
The Autolite APP5683-4PK double platinum spark plugs (4 in a pack) work to optimize engine performance to enhance the life span and improved fuel economy. Users reviewed that the premium plug lasted for about 170,000 miles without any issues. So, you understand how amazingly the cap can serve you.
The socket requires less voltage to start the engine as a necked-down center electrode fires quicker and cleaner. This also results in faster acceleration.
The Autolite platinum spark plug comes with full-platinum tips. That means both the center and side electrodes are platinum-plated to ensure reduced gap wear. The high nickel alloy side electrode maintains the exact gap. The platinum ball welding process provides a consistent point of contact for enhanced grip.
The Autolite APP5683-4PK double platinum spark plug excels in all aspects to keep the engine smooth and ensure your safe ride. It’s full copper core electrode offers better performance in all conditions. The plug comes with Improved fuel efficiency, durability, and optimal performance. You can purchase these plugs without hesitation.
- Virtually no gap erosion
- Optimized engine performance
- Requires less voltage
- OE design
- May cause engine misfire sometimes
2. QYL Set of 4 Iridium Spark Plugs :Best Iridium
- COMPATIBLE WITH Parts Number: 9029 DILKAR6A11 VR8NII35U 22401JA01B 22401JA07B 22401JD01B 22401JA01B 9091901281
- Material: Iridium/Size: 0.6mm; one order = 4 Pieces
- 0.6mm fine wire firing pin provides superior ignitability and performance.
- Specifically designed with colder heat ranges than the factory plug to enable performance modifications and handle intense conditions
- Replacement racing spark plug used by many professional car drivers
If you are using a 2007 Nissan Altima 2.5 S or 2009 Altima hybrid and looking for the best iridium spark plug, QYL iridium spark plugs offer exceptionally well performance in all conditions.
QYL iridium spark plugs come as a set where you will get four plugs at a time. The plug’s fine-wire firing pin has a diameter of 0.6 mm that provides superior ignitability and performance. It also reduces the voltage requirement.
The copper core ground electrode offers better heat transfer. The shells are Nickel plated with rolled threads that require no anti-size. The plugs have ribbed insulator design to prevent secondary voltage or spark flashover. It also helps to improve the grip of the rubber plug boot against the plug body.
Iridium surface of the QYL spark plug ensures a slow wear rate by providing stable idle, anti-fouling, superior fuel efficiency, and lower emissions. The replacement racing spark plugs are used by many professional car drivers as well.
The QYL set of 4 iridium spark plugs is renowned for its superior quality and excellent service. The caps are designed explicitly with colder heat ranges than the factory plug to enable performance modifications and handle intense conditions. OE fine wire design requires minimum voltage resulting in reliable ignition. Buying the premium quality spark plugs for your Nissan Altima won’t make you feel regret.
- Fuel efficient
- Responds quickly to acceleration
- Customized compatibility for OE-Matched Spark Position
- Spark plug thread is weak
3. Autolite AP5325 Copper Core Spark Plug :Best Budget
- Full platinum tip ensures virtually no gap erosion for long plug life. Hex Size: 5/8 inch
- Yttrium enhanced, high nickel alloy side electrode maintains precise gap to increase plug life
- Necked-down center electrode fires quicker and cleaner, with less voltage for easier starts, quicker acceleration, and improved fuel economy
- Platinum alloy pad on ground electrode provides extended durability and service life and platinum-to-platinum firing
- Nickel-plated steel shell for long-life corrosion resistance
If you are convinced not to spend much on a spark plug, Autolite AP5325 copper core Spark Plug can be an excellent option. The Plugs are cheap because of Nickle construction. But They are guaranteed to deliver quick starts, excellent fuel economy, and smooth acceleration.
The Autolite copper core Spark Plug provides a copper-glass seal that bonds the insulator and center electrode together to ensure the full required voltage at the spark gap.
The company claims a 100% leak-proof gas-tight seal. It’s one-piece terminal post adds strength. The spark plug is equipped with a Multi-rib insulator to reduce the danger of “flashover”. The Resistor reduces electrode erosion and radio frequency interference (RFI).
Despite the low price tag, the Autolite AP5325 copper core Spark plug provides excellent service. If you want spark plugs that are fuel-economical, and long-lasting with minimum cost, this copper core spark plugs are just waiting for you.
- Cheaper than most other spark plugs
- OEM replacement plugs
- Works well in all conditions
- May not be gapped to the corrected size. To fix the problem, you need to buy a gaping tool to check and fix the gap before installing it.
4. NGK 6240 PLFR5A-11 Laser Platinum Spark Plug :Best Fuel-Efficient
- Trivalent Metal Plating Provides Superior Anti-Corrosion and Anti-Seizing Properties
- Corrugated Ribs Prevent Flashover
- Pure Alumina Silicate Ceramic Insulator, Provides Superior Strength and Better Heat Transfer
- Copper Core Aids in Heat Removal
- Triple Seals Prevent Leakage; Torque Specs: Cast Iron: 18-25.3 lb. ft; Overall Height : height of the spark plug from the seat to the top of the terminal nut is 50.5mm (1.98-inch)
NK is the most praised spark plug manufacturer you will hear from the people using, especially Nissan cars. With the Thermo edge design of the plug, outstanding insulation resistance, and fantastic fuel economy and reduced emissions, NGK Laser Platinum Spark Plug is a great choice.
The trivalent Metal Plating of NGK 6240 PLFR5A-11 Laser Platinum Spark Plug provides Superior anti-corrosion and anti-seizing properties to ensure long-lasting durability. Pure alumina silicate ceramic insulator offers excellent strength and better heat transfer. This Nissan Altima OEM spark plugs excels with copper core that aids in heat removal. Also, the corrugated ribs prevent spark flashover.
The most significant feature of NGK Laser Platinum Spark Plug is its better fuel economy. The plug saves a lot of fuel by ensuring complete combustion. Reviewers have found out an improved fuel efficiency by 5-7% after installing the plug. NGK plug also includes a laser welded platinum center electrode tip that offers faster starts and quicker acceleration. A platinum disc is welded behind the ground electrode to provide enhanced fuel economy and reduced emissions.
NGK Laser Platinum Plugs are designed to offer excellent fuel ignition and enhanced throttle response. It is durable, long-lasting, and dependable. The laser spark plug is expensive but justifies the features it contains.
- Insulator provides better heat transfer
- Improved fuel economy
- Durable and lasts long
- Fast start and quick acceleration
- Doesn’t fit a 2008 Nissan Altima as Amazon describes
5. ENA Pack of 6 Spark Plugs :Honorable Mention
- ENA Spark Plugs are engineered for original equipment and replacement applications. Every component either matches or improves on the OE design to ensure fast and easy installation with superior performance and reliability
- These spark plugs provide better durability and performance for better ignitability
- The center electrode tip wears less than a standard spark plug providing years of reliable service
- Remedies common spark plug issues such as slow acceleration, poor fuel economy, engine misfires, rough start and idle
- 1 Year Limited Warranty - Please use enter your vehicle in your Amazon Garage above to see if this part is compatible with your vehicle
ENA iridium plugs come in a pack of 6 spark plugs that are compatible with 2007-2017 Nissan Altima 3.5L. The caps are designed to meet OEM quality and durability standards.
The ENA iridium series features vehicle grade ceramic and fine wire center electrodes that provide OE performance at high efficiency for more extended-lasting spark plugs.
The ultra-fine center electrode ensures fast ignition and improves the engine’s start-up characteristics. ENA claims the iridium plugs are 6x more durable than platinum spark plugs, which significantly reduces electrode wear and lasts 25% longer than platinum spark plugs.
ENA spark plugs offer unique ribbed insulators to reduce flashover and decrease voltage loss that results in a longer life span. The copper core electrode provides superior thermal conductivity. You will get it at hand after hours of extensive testing and quality checking procedure.
ENA iridium spark plugs bring solutions to common spark plug problems such as durability, weak fuel economy, engine misfires, rough start, and idle. The premium plugs offer you a 1-year limited warranty. You can rest assure installing the ENA iridium plugs as it is one of the best spark plugs for Nissan Altima with 6-cylinder engines.
- Reliable cold start
- Rustproof, heat and pressure-resistant
- Excellent current conductivity
- No misfires or rough starts
- We didn’t find any
Key Features For Nissan Altima Spark Plugs
Many people simply ignore this thing where you should be most careful. Buying a spark plug that doesn’t fit your car or against your owner’s manual can both waste your money and time. Make sure you go through these must-have key features to consider before you buy spark plugs for your favorite ride.
Spark Plug Types Explained
Spark plugs are made of different metals. Based on the metal used, spark caps are classified into different types. Each type of spark plugs have specific advantages to use.
For example, copper spark plugs are least expensive but lasts less than other types of plugs. They require more voltage and is suitable for earlier vehicles especially before high-energy distributor ignition system engines became popular.
Platinum spark plugs are more robust than copper caps with long lifespan. They require less voltage to operate and reduce misfires during startup the engine.
Iridium spark plugs are most expensive but serves you the best. They usually runs more than other types of spark caps.
But we recommend you stick with the type of spark plugs that are instructed in the owner’s manual. After all, your Nissan Altima engine is built considering the nature of the plugs. However, if you want to try new plugs you should go for different types of spark plugs in details.
First thing first. You need to check back the material your Altima model fits before purchasing. Copper is ideal for old-fashioned models that feature low-voltage distributor-based ignition. Platinum and Iridium are commonly better for modern vehicles. Platinum plugs provide fuel efficiency, performance, and longevity. Iridium also serves excellent at a higher cost. But, before you go for any of them, you should follow what the car manufacturer recommends.
Spark plug size
The diameter of the threads determines the size of the spark plug. If you install the wrong-sized plug, you can cause anything from the cap not being able to be torqued down to damage the cylinder head by either cross-threading or trying to jam the plug in a place where it won’t fit.
Spark plug reach
The reach of the spark plug is the length of the threads. Reach also tells us how far a spark plug goes in the cylinder head. You will see a darker portion of the thread before it gets down to the electrode that goes into the cylinder head. If your plug doesn’t have a sufficient amount of reach, it won’t go far into the cylinder to produce proper combustion. On the other hand, if the reach is too long, it can cause pre-ignition, piston or valve hitting the spark plug.
The heat range is determined from the tip of the insulator to the sealing ring. The range is listed on the side of the plug. A longer distance from the sealing ring to the insulator’s tip is called a ‘hotter’ plug. When you install a hot plug to your car, pre-ignition may occur in the cylinder. The cap is a better insulator. Installing a colder plug file, the plug out really fast due to deposits building up on the socket. A cold spark plug can conduct more heat out of the tip to lower its temperature.
Spark plug gap
A spark plug is designed for various models of vehicles. Different vehicles maintain a different spark plug gap. For Nissan vehicle, it is 0.044″ or 1.1 mm. So, before installing a spark plug, use a gap gauge to measure the socket gap. This will fit your vehicle and produce proper combustion.
A Note: Don’t use a screwdriver/ pliers to bend the gap open that may damage the plug.
The spark plug is the primary component required to power the engine. If you don’t choose the best caps for the engine, don’t expect much from the car. So, spend some time to find the best spark plugs for Nissan Altima that you drive daily. The other problems will automatically be solved