DISCLAIMER: THERE ARE AFFILIATE LINKS IN THIS POST. THIS MEANS THAT AT NO COST TO YOU, I WILL RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION IF YOU PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINK.
Metal railings can bring a new classy look to your house. It’s a great alternative to brick walls, which blocks the view and doesn’t even look good. So, if you have a metal railing, you can enhance its look even more by using the best paint for metal railings.
A paint can serve a lot of purposes than just giving the railing a colorful look. It protects it from rust and dirt buildup. Also, if you use a quality paint, it’ll save you from constant maintenance and cleaning of the metal railing.
As there are so many different paints that you can get, let’s go over the 5 best ones that’ll give you the most value of your money.
Best Paint for Metal Railings
Let’s review the top 5 paints that you can get for your metal railings.
1. Rust-Oleum 7779504 Protective Enamel Paint
- Weather and corrosion resistant coating protects exterior/interior surfaces like wood, metal, concrete, masonry and more
- Oil-based formula provides a durable protective coating with excellent rust prevention
- Dries to the touch in 2-4 hours and covers up to 90 sq ft
- Excellent resistance to abrasion, fading and chipping
- Glossy finish provides a fresh shine to surfaces
The Rust-Oleum 7779504 Protective Enamel Paint is one of the best paints that you can get for your money. It gives amazing protection to your metal railings.
It features a weather-resistant coating, which makes it a perfect paint to use for both interior and exterior use. This paint can save the metal railing from taking rust buildup from the moisture. Also, it’s going to help to protect the railing from excessive sunlight damage as well.
Another great thing about this paint is that it’s super easy to apply. And it’s going to dry out in 2 to 4 hours, which is very impressive for paint in that price range.
Also, you can use it on so many surfaces and not just in your metal railings. That makes it a very versatile protective paint that you can get.
The Rust-Oleum 7779504 Protective Enamel Paint gives a bit of shine to the metal railings, which makes it look more natural and gorgeous at the same time. That’s an oil-based formula and that’s great for the rust prevention.
So, if you are looking for the best protective paint for your metal railings, you can go for the Rust-Oleum 7779504 Protective Enamel Paint. It’s going to be a great paint that you won’t regret investing in.
- Provides a natural gloss that makes the metal railing more gorgeous
- Increases the lifespan of the metal railing
- Great for both interior and exterior use
- Gives an amazing finish
- Can be a bit hard to clean off completely
2. Rust-Oleum 1976730 Painters Touch Latex
- Use for a variety of indoor and outdoor project surfaces including wood, metal, plaster, masonry or unglazed ceramic
- Water-based acrylic formula is low odor, resist chips and provides long-lasting protection
- Covers up to 120 sq ft and dries to touch in 30 minutes for quick project completion
- Gloss finish provides a fresh new look for surfaces, goes on smoothly and provides excellent hide
- Prior to application sand surfaces with 180/200 grit sandpaper, then wash with a degreaser, allow the surface to dry and apply paint
This is another solid option for you if you are searching for an amazing protective paint for your metal railing. The Rust-Oleum 1976730 Painters Touch Latex is also a very affordable option that you can get.
This is great for both indoor and outdoor usage, which gives it more versatility and flexibility. That way you don’t have to buy another individual product for outdoor purposes.
Also, it’s a water-based formula, and that gives you an odor-free coat on the metal railings. That can be a very vital feature for someone with breathing issues.
This paint has also the fastest drying time in the entire market, which is very useful. It’s going to take 30 minutes to dry out the paint to touch dry.
The best about the Rust-Oleum 1976730 Painters Touch Latex is that it gives amazing protection against all kinds of damage. It helps to reduce the dirt and rust buildup, which helps to increase the lifespan of the metal railings.
So, if you searching for an affordable protection paint for your metal railing that is of good quality, this is a pretty solid option for you.
- A water-based formula gives odor-free experience
- Dries out very fast
- Best value of your money
- Doesn’t provide the best finish
3. Rust-Oleum Available 239107 Professional High Performance Enamel Spray Paint
- Ideal for use on ferrous, non-ferrous metal, wood, concrete, masonry and other such surfaces to provide rust protection and a tough attractive finish that withstands weathering
- High quality, durable oil-based formula maintains consistent, corrosion-resistant color despite the elements
- Commercial, industrial paint formula features a high output tip that can be sprayed at any angle
- Semi-gloss finish provides a subtle glow on surfaces and withstands demanding, heavy-use environments
- Covers up to 14 sq ft, dries to touch in 15 minutes and recoats within an hour for quick project completion
If you’ve been searching for a great spray paint that you can use on your metal railings, there’s no better option for you than the Rust-Oleum Available 239107 Professional High Performance Enamel Spray Paint. It provides you with maximum protection and it’s available for a very reasonable price as well.
The best thing about this paint is that it’s super hassle-free. You don’t have to do any extra effort to apply this paint on your metal railing.
It’s oil-based paint and it’s perfect for preventing rust buildup. Also, it gives a natural gloss to the surface which makes the whole railing look so much better.
Another great thing about this paint is that it dries out in only 15 minutes, which is just mesmerizing for spray paint in this price range.
So, if you want to get the best spray paint for your metal railing, you can get the Rust-Oleum Available 239107 Professional High Performance Enamel Spray Paint. It’s super high quality and you are not going to be disappointed in any way with this paint.
- Very easy to apply on the surface
- You can get done with it super quick
- Dries out very quickly
- Provides amazing longevity to your metal railing
- Can have a bit adhesion to the paint
4. Rust-Oleum 215215 Stops Rust Rust Reformer Rust Reformer
- For use on exterior or interior rusted metal surfaces only
- Water-based film forming product converts rust into a paintable surface, there's no need to sand to bare metal
- Dries to touch in 20-40 minutes and covers up to 12 sq ft
- Protects surface from future rust
- Creates a flat black finish that can be painted 24 hours following application with any oil-based top coat
This is another great paint spray by Rust-Oleum that you can get for your metal railings. It is a heavy-duty paint spray, but the best thing about is that it is very affordable for most people.
The Rust-Oleum 215215 is amazing for inside and outside usage. So, you don’t have to purchase any extra paint for any individual area, and that makes it a very hassle-free spray paint for you.
It’s water-based paint and it has the minimum odor to it. That’s great if you don’t want to deal with the annoying smell of the paint.
This spray paint gives your metal railings the superb longevity that you crave. It’s especially effective to the rusty areas, and also helps to prevent future rust as well.
Another great thing about this spray paint is that it dries out pretty fast after application. It’s going to need only 20 to 30 minutes to dry it to the touch.
You can see that all these features are pretty exceptional for a product that’s not that pricey. So, if that is something you’d like for the metal railings, you can go for it by all means.
- Provides excellent durability to your metal railing
- The best solution to the rust issue
- Dries out to the touch in 20 to 30 minutes
- Great for both interior and exterior use
- Best value of your money
- You can’t use it on any other surface than the metal surface
5. Rustins Matt Black Paint
The last protective paint that we are going to look at is a product of GBBC. You probably know that GBBC produces some of the top class paints in the whole marketplace. Their paints are known for the quality materials and also, they come in a very affordable price range as well.
If you are looking for a matt paint for your metal railings, the Rustins Matt Black Paint is going to be a solid fit for you.
There’s something premium about the matt finish in colors. And the Rustins matt black paint helps to give you that gorgeous look of black to the metal railings.
Also, the best part of this paint is its decorative style. You can get the most beautiful paints using this matt paint on your metal railing. However, it has some of the protective materials as well.
That helps it to prevent so many damages from taking place on your metal railing. So, if you searching for amazing decorative paint for your metal railing, you should consider buying the Rustins Matt Black Paint. You are going to fall in love with this matt paint.
- Very decorative style
- Extremely easy to apply
- Best value of your money
- Not the best protective paint in the market
Considerations On Best Metal Railing Paint
Now you have a list of some of the best paints that you can get for the iron railings of your house. But there are still a few things you need to know before you go to buy paint in that case. That’s going to make sure that you get the best possible paint for the metal railings.
Let’s go over everything you need to know and consider before you choose to spend your money on paint for the metal paint.
Spray Paint or Canned Paint
The first thing you need to do is choose whether you are going to go for spray paint or a canned one. Each product has its advantages and disadvantages that you need to keep in mind.
The canned paint is a traditional paint that most people use. You need to use a brush to apply the canned paint, which can be a bit of a drawback for a lot of people.
However, the sprayer paints don’t have this issue as you can just spray the paint directly to the metal railing. You won’t have to use anything else, and also, it’s very easy to apply as well. Thus, you’ll get more effective paint on the metal railing which you crave.
The next thing you need to consider before spending your money on paint for your metal railings is the size of the paint.
That depends on how much surface you’ll need to cover, which means that you have to identify that first. Getting a little bit more paint is going to be a wise thing to do. So that you don’t have to stop the process for the shortage of paints.
But make sure that you don’t get too much paint as it’s going to waste a lot of your money and the rest of the paint as well.
Indoor vs Outdoor
This is one of the most vital things that you need to consider before buying paint for your metal railings.
You should never use a paint that’s designed for interior use only on outside parts. These paints lose their effect by moisture and heat, which is not ideal.
On the other hand, the paint that’s designed for outdoor use, you can use it anywhere. These usually have a weather resistance feature, which makes it less prone to other damages.
So, identify where you are going to be using the paint on and you can pick accordingly.
This is another critical thing you need to be mindful of before you spend your money on buying paint for the metal railings.
Make sure that it gives protection to the railings rather than just give it a nice color. Increasing the overall durability and lifespan is a big purpose of applying paint on the metal railing in the first place.
Also, take a look at the thickness of the paint to get an idea of how strong the coat is going to be for your metal railing. You must pick the one that helps to prevent rust buildup, which can damage the railing for the longterm.
Question 1: How do I prepare the metal railing for the new painting?
Answer: It’s not very hard to prepare the metal railing for applying the new paint. You need to clean it in the right way to get the best results with your paint.
Start by cleaning all the dirt and debris buildup on the metal railing. Then work your way through removing rust from it, which is a vital thing in the whole process. You may use sandpaper to do the job. But remember to not be super aggressive with it as it can damage the metal railing for the long term.
Question 2: How can I remove the previous paint from the metal railing?
Answer: You need to use some brush attachment tools to remove the old paints from the metal railing. To do the job in the right way, use a wire brush attachment and attach it in on an electric drill.
Then slowly start to work your way through removing the old paint from the metal railing. That’s going to take some time, so, be patient with the process. Once you are done, you can further clean the railing or prime the surface to apply new paint on top.
Question 3: Is it really a good idea to a sprayer to paint the railings?
Answer: A sprayer can give you a very smooth and effective painting experience. Yet, the first thing you need to be aware of is whether the paint you are using can be used with a sprayer as well or not.
Spray paints are pretty effective for a lot of reasons. You’ll be able to paint the whole railing in just a matter of minutes if you use a paint sprayer on it. Also, it’s very easy to apply as well if you compare it to the canned paints that you need to use a brush to apply.
Now you have a list of the top 5 best paint for metal railings that you can get for yourself. As you saw, the most pricey products don’t guarantee good quality either.
But try to go for the best one that you can afford, as it’s going to serve you well in long term.