Won’t you be mad if your favorite driveway, walkway, or patio loses its charm within a year? Anyone will, and it won’t be reasonable to blame the material or the professional installers.
Only we are responsible for not taking care of the pathways at the right time. After a few months from the installation, one must buy the best paver sealer and seal it properly.
In this article, we will help you know all about the sealers and suggest various products so that you can pick the right one. In the end, you will also get to know about the proper installation process in detail. Let’s start started.
Here are our top recommended best paver sealers at a glance:
- Masonry Defender All Purpose Sealer – Best for All Paver Materials
- Armor AR350 – Best Solvent Based Acrylic Paver Sealer
- EnduraSeal 100% Acrylic – Best Semi Gloss Sealer for Paver
- DOMINATOR LG+ Wet Look – Best Low Gloss Sealer for Paver
- Black Diamond Stoneworks Wet Look Natural Stone Sealer – Best Water Based Sealer for Stone Paver
- Siloxa-Tek 8505 Ultra Concentrate – Best Water Based Sealer for Concrete Paver
- SX5000 WB DOT Approved Concrete Sealer – Best Penetrating Sealer for Concrete Paver
What Are Paver Sealers?
Paver sealers are one kind of chemical compound that can protect the pavement from damages. As it fights against water and UV rays, mold or mildew can’t grow or damage the surface.
The liquid substance fills the pores or creates a thin layer on top of them, reflecting light in a better way. That is the secret of these products’ ability to enhance the color of concrete, brick, or stone.
Depending on the sealer’s components and type, the finishing look can be glossy, semi-glossy, low-glossy, wet, or matte. Now, let’s talk about those different types in short.
Best Paver Sealer: The Complete Review
That info section should answer almost all of your questions regarding sealer-101. Now, let’s start our reviews.
1.Masonry Defender All-Purpose Sealer – Best for Any Paver Material
- Clear, Water Repellent Protection for All Exterior, Porous Masonry & Concrete Surfaces Including Concrete, Brick, Natural Stone, Sandstone, Limestone, Cultured Stone (Stone Veneer/Manufactured Stone), Granite, and More
- Waterproofs and Protects Masonry & Concrete Surfaces from Water Damage & Freeze/Thaw Damage
- 100% Breathable - Doesn't Form a Film, Allows Trapped Moisture to Escape Which Prevents Pitting, Cracking & Delaminating
- Water-Based/Eco-Friendly - Soap & Water Cleanup, Low Odor
- 5 Year Warranty on Vertical Concrete & Masonry Surfaces
Masonry Defender introduces an all-purpose sealer that can take care of concrete, brick, and stone paver. It waterproofs, protects all exteriors, and preserves the looks over time.
Depending on the material’s porosity, you can cover from 90 to 150 sq. ft. per gallon. The chemical is 100% breathable, doesn’t trap moisture, and effective against pitting, cracking, or delaminating.
The protection extends to preventing the de-icing of salts and chemicals. After completing the application using a sprayer, you will see that water beads up after some time. It doesn’t let water steeping into your driveway and helps the surface dry quicker than before.
The formula is water-based, making it user-friendly and eco-friendly. Masonry Defender doesn’t create odor as much as the solvent-based ones and is easy to clean up with soap and water.
A Tip: Apply the sealer when the outside temperature is between 40 to 100 degrees, within a few minutes of the first coat, complete spraying the second coat
- One sealer for all
- Preserves natural look
- Easy to apply
- Needs more than one coating
Summary: If you have both concrete and stone pavers, you will find this all-purpose sealer more convenient than choosing multiple items. The coating lasts a long time and beads up water, which ensures water resistance.
2. Black Diamond Stoneworks Wet Look Natural Stone Sealer – Best Paver Sealer for Stone
- BEAUTIFUL GLOSS SEALER Works on exposed aggregate, stamped, colored or decorative surfaces
- SPRAY, BRUSH OR ROLL on concrete, pavers, slate, driveways, garage floors, patios, masonry, brick
- WILL NOT DARKEN MOST SURFACES when it dries. Does not look like you sprayed water on it. Resists chemicals
- PLEASE READ COMPLETE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: not for polished GRANITE OR MARBLE
- WATER BASED SEALER VOC compliant, Easy to Maintain 100% Money Back Guarantee- Made in USA
There are several concrete sealers on this list; here, let’s see one exclusively for stone. Black Diamond Stoneworks is the best stone sealers with a water-based formula that is eco-friendly and easy to apply.
A Tip: For the best result, experts recommend us to apply 3 coats.
Black Diamond Stoneworks protects against wear, abrasion, UV, water, mold, moisture, and mildew. After the application process is done, you can clean the surface from time to time without damaging the coat. Using either brush, sprayer, or roller, anyone can easily apply it without professional help.
Though this stone-sealer promises a wet look after multiple applications, it wouldn’t look like you have sprayed water on the ground, which is a good thing. The sealer performs as promised in the descriptions even on exposed-aggregate, stamped, colored, or decorative surface.
- Low-VOC formula
- Quick and easy to apply
- Nice wet look
- Dries quickly
- Slightly expensive
Suggestion: Black Diamond Stoneworks may create a milky white layer after the first coat. That would help you to find and seal the missed areas. After the second or third with an hour gap, you will find the surfaces have a nice and wet look.
Summary: You can confidently use this water-based sealer for any paver material. The product is a bit expensive, but it is the best high gloss paver sealer and worth the investment for your stone walkways.
3. Siloxa-Tek 8505 Ultra Concentrate – Best Paver Sealer for Concrete
- An industrial-grade, water-based, silane/siloxane engineered to reduce water and moisture intrusion, protect concrete from deicing salts and chlorides, and resist staining from oil and fluids.
- Prevents deicing salt/chloride damage, freeze thaw damage, spalling, pitting, cracking, dirt pick up
- Resits staining from oils, auto fluids etc.
- Reduces moisture intrusion, water ingress and water vapor transmission
- Excellent penetration, easy application, no appearance change, low VOCs, water beading effect
Siloxa-Tek manufactures the ultimate industrial-grade and best water based paver sealer for concrete. No other water-based sealer is as good as this one. 8505 Ultra is costlier than others, but the investment is worth its features and performance.
A Tip: The manufacturer recommends homeowners apply a second coat while the first one is still wet.
We are saying Siloxa-Tek 8505 is more effective. The reason is that it has a smaller molecule that can easily settle in micropores and form a barrier. After multiple coats, you will notice that the water is beading up.
But that doesn’t mean that Siloxa-Tek 8505 creates a continuous thin layer. So, it stays breathable and prevents moisture from being trapped inside. At the same time, the sealer protects against chloride ion.
It deeply penetrates the concrete and creates protection against all sorts of liquid and UV rays. The low-VOC formula makes this product eco-friendly and suitable for both indoor and outdoor uses.
The sealer also stops moisture intrusion and the growth of mold or mildew. Like other products, it is easy to apply and doesn’t need the help of professionals. After completing the coat, you would see that the natural look of the path has been restored.
A big advantage is that you can coat multiple times without waiting for hours in between. So, our chosen product from Siloxa-Tek is more convenient for busy homeowners.
- Preserves the natural look
- Effectively prevents stains
- Eco-friendly formula
- Breathable coating
- Takes longer to dry
Summary: Are you looking for a water-based sealer specifically for concrete pavers? Siloxa-Tek 8505 Ultra will perfectly match your requirements. It is one of the best products that can fight against oil, water, and salt.
4. Foundation Armor AR350 – Best Solvent Based Acrylic Paver Sealer
- The Armor AR350 is a breathable, non-yellowing solvent based acrylic that will darken concrete and pavers to make them look wet, and provide a long lasting, durable low gloss finish.
- The Armor AR350 is manufactured in the US and made from non-recycled resins.
- The Armor AR350 is self-priming and can be applied to unsealed concrete and paver surfaces, as well as surfaces previously sealed with a solvent based acrylic sealer.
- The Armor AR350 will help to reduce damage and deterioration caused by surface abrasion such as dustring, cracking, spalling, and pitting.
- The Armor AR350 can last up to 1-3 years on exterior surfaces and up to 3-7 years on interior surfaces before the need for a recoat.
We have reviewed enough water-based products, and now let’s review a solvent-based acrylic formula that can give a darker look to the surface. Armor AR350 has pure non-recycled resins to ensure high-quality and the best results.
A Tip: You should ensure the paver surface’s dryness to get the best results from the sealer. Also, keep a 6 to 24 hours gap in between the coatings.
As the product is self-priming, you can apply it to unsealed surfaces. The possibility even extends to using the sealer on a previously sealed surface. The only requirements are proper cleaning and dryness.
The longevity of this product in the outdoors is 1 to 3 years. Within this period, your driveway wouldn’t be cracking, spalling, or pitting. Depending on the weather condition and performance of the sealer, you should decide the intervals between recoats.
It not only protects the surface from water but also prevents surface abrasion. Considering other competitor products, this one needs little to no maintenance.
- Applicable to unsealed surfaces
- Low-VOC breathable chemical
- Protection from UV, water, and stains
- The surface becomes slightly slippery
Suggestion: Do at least 2 coats to get the best results from Armor AR350. It is recommended to use a 3/8″ nap roller or solvent-resistant HVLP sprayer for effortless application. In case of windy outdoor, don’t seal using a sprayer.
Summary: For all kinds of concrete structures, Armor AR350 is the best solvent-based acrylic sealer. We endorse this product for its effectiveness and the capability of ensuring long-lasting protection.
5. EnduraSeal 100% Acrylic – Best Semi-Gloss Sealer for Paver
- 100% pure acrylic, high performance lower odor solvent sealer
- Produces a semi gloss "Wet Look" to just about any type of subtrate
- Highly durable for a fraction of the cost of Urethane & Epoxy sealers.
- Non-yellowing formula (Doesn't yellow the surface in time)
- Lower odor than most solvent based sealers on the market
We know that acrylic has the highest durability, and that is why we are reviewing 100% pure acrylic sealer from EnduraSeal. The manufacture promises to give the surface a semi-gloss wet look after applying it properly. But in return, the cost won’t be as much as urethane or epoxy substrates.
A Tip: As the sealer is a bit slippery, you should mix an anti-slip powder to it while applying. The powder would also help prevent bubbling.
EnduraSeal, 100% Acrylic, comes with a non-yellowing formula that doesn’t produce much odor. So, the level of odor emission will be tolerable. Acrylic based products tend to be slippery, but that wouldn’t be the case here.
You know that coverage depends on several factors, but it can seal approximately 150-300 square feet per gallon to give you an idea. The product can also stabilize the paver joint along with the main material.
- Non-yellowing formula
- Almost no odor
- Protection from direct sunlight
- Takes longer to dry
Summary: For outdoor uses and a semi-gloss finish, you will find no other products with the same effectiveness and features as EnduraSeal. So, get this easy-to-apply sealer for your walkway or driveway that is made from concrete.
6. DOMINATOR LG+ Wet Look – Best With A Low-Gloss Finish
- Restore the life and beauty of your surface with the ultimate color enhancement (wet look) with a low gloss finish for up to 5 years before the need to reseal.
- Protects against oil stains and other spills while providing the ultimate UV protection on surfaces including concrete pavers, brick pavers, and decorative concrete. Not intended for stone or clay.
- Twice the coverage rate of your average sealer: 250-400 square feet per gallon, per coat.
- Breathe easy with our solvent free formula and no foul odors.
- Easy spray on application using our application guide and application videos.
A low-gloss look, protection against oil stains, mold, mildew, and UV are the main characteristics to give this one a place in our list. DOMINATOR LG+ is very easy to apply using a sprayer and wouldn’t bother you with odor.
A Tip: Though you can apply the sealer using a sprayer, the better decision is to use a roller, which will let you have more control over the application.
If the surface’s natural color is fading away, you can choose this one to restore it. The product can also enhance the color and give it a wet look that would last for almost 5 years.
250 to 400 sq. ft. area can be coated with only a gallon. The product has a breathable formula so that moisture doesn’t get trapped under the surface. You would love this sealer as it doesn’t take long to dry. So, you won’t have to block a busy way while sealing it.
- No foul odors
- Easy application and cleanup
- Ultimate UV protection
- Not as much coverage as advertised
Summary: DOMINATOR LG+ is a great concrete or brick paver sealer with forgiving characteristics. It won’t be a problem if you overspray on any particular spot. The product is easy to clean, lasts long, and does a fantastic job in all weather conditions.
7. SX5000 WB DOT Approved Concrete Sealer – Best Penetrating Sealer
- Water based, breathable, low VOC, high solids Silane Siloxane sealer that can be used on unsealed interior and exterior, vertical and horizontal concrete, brick, pavers, flagstone, and slate.
- Approved by the Department of Transportation in several states as a penetrating concrete sealer for use on roadways and bridgedecks to reduce damage and deterioration caused by water absorption.
- Will maintain the natural, unsealed look and feel of the substrate. Won't leave behind a slippery surface film, won't change the look or color.
- Easy to apply with a pump sprayer! Two back-to-back coats will yield up to 7-10 years of protection!
- Contains up to 10X more active ingredients than competing products. Manufactured in the USA! No recycled or imported resins in our formulas!
Finally, we have the best penetrating concrete sealer that is breathable, easy to apply and seals both vertical and horizontal surfaces. The water-based formula creates low to almost no VOC and applies to flagstone as well as slate.
The Department of Transportation certifies this one for official uses because of its features and performance. It can dramatically reduce the damage and deterioration done by water or other liquid substances.
While providing all those protections, the sealer doesn’t reduce or alter the surface’s natural look. On the contrary, this one enhances the color and preserves the pathways for years. If not polished, SX5000 can be the best sealer for travertine pavers along with concrete ones.
All of those are possible due to its possession of 10 times more ingredients than the competitors. Having a 2-coat application can protect for more than 5 years. As SX5000 is the best paver sealer matte finish, it can’t provide a wet look.
- Effective components
- Breathable seal
- High-quality resin
- Easy to apply
- Takes a long time to dry
Summary: Its penetrating properties, long-lasting performance, and low-VOC formula have proven to be the favorite of all homeowners across the country.
Why Should You Seal Pavers?
Pavements are very costly, and it is not wise to let them fade away or be damaged easily. With the help of a sealer, you can ensure the patio, walkway, or driveway’s longevity. Let’s see why clever homeowners choose to seal their walkways or driveways.
These penetrating sealers fill those micro or nanoholes to create a hydrophobic barrier. That is how water or oil can’t get inside the material and cause any harm.
Such barriers can last from 3 years up to 10 years, depending on the product quality and sealer type. They are so effective that up to 95% of the spilled liquid on the surface can’t get inside.
Depending on the location outside the house, people want a matte, semi-glossy, or glossy finish. Also, some people like to enhance the natural look and preserve it. No matter what the case is, you can find a sealer in our review according to your needs.
So, specific stone or concrete paver sealers are important for achieving the look you want. Lots of sealers have formulas that don’t create a yellowish tone, which is why you should only trust the best paver sealer on this list.
Over time, concrete, brick, or stone fade due to harsh weather conditions, mold, mildew, water, and continuous traffic. Here, different types of sealers can help you. The chemicals can protect materials from UV light and other elements; the natural tone stays preserved.
As you have already understood that the products don’t let water, moisture, or oil settle on the applied surface, you wouldn’t need to worry about cracking or weed growth. That is how you can increase the longevity of your investment.
What to Consider Before Buying the Best Paver Sealer?
Here, we have listed several factors that you should consider before buying a sealer for patios, driveways, pool decks, and walkways. Let’s see what those are.
First of all, it is always better to choose a sealer that can seal any material. If you have several pavers with different materials, you wouldn’t have to buy multiple products.
But such products may not perform as well as the specialized ones. If longevity and ease-of-application is the main concern to you, choose exclusive sealers for either concrete or stone. This way, you won’t have to worry about the product’s effectiveness at all.
Depending on the brand and their quality, the frequency of the recoating or maintenance varies. Some require a recoating every year, and some even last more than 3 years. The main difference between them is the price point.
You would also find products that can protect surfaces long after the beading effects are gone. Also, keep in mind that no matter how good the product is, areas with too much traffic needs resealing too often.
Now, effectiveness also varies depending on the formula of the sealer. Some sealers can penetrate or fill the pores of the material. On the other hand, some forms a thin layer of protection on top of the surface.
Both have the same end goals of resisting water and fighting against UV rays. As water can’t penetrate, weeds or mold can’t grow, and the paver stays intact. It also helps to prevent crack or discoloring over time.
Slippery or Not
Some sealers are slippery by nature, and some are not. Usually, the ones with wet or glossy finish can’t provide enough grip like the matte-finish ones. So, what would you do if you like glossy finish and grip at the same time?
The solution is to add another item with the chosen sealer that provides the necessary grip on the surface. A manufacturer named Foundation Armor avails fine non-slip additive and a coarser non-slip additive so that the path can offer more grip.
You have already got a hint about the finishing in the previous point. Besides matte and glossy finish, you can also choose to have a medium-glossy or low-glossy finish. Choose the finish that suits the exterior of the house.
What Are the Types of Sealers for Pavers?
There are several types of sealers in the market as their use-cases vary. Among them, the most popular and effective ones are described in this section.
- Silicate Based
These are also called penetrating sealers and include siliconates. Silicate-based paver sealers can seal the pores of concrete or stone and protect against harsh weather conditions. It is the best paver sealer for the pool deck as well as driveways.
- Silane-Siloxane Based
As silicate or siliconates can be volatile, you can consider something more user-friendly: silane-siloxane-based paver sealers. It can fight against moisture and liquid, ensuring a clear and natural look. Like the previous type, the best use cases of this one is also in driveways and pool decks. The difference is that you can complete the task for less cost.
- Acrylic Based
If you are looking for film-forming sealers, acrylic based sealers are the ones to consider. These products have a non-yellowing formula and protection against UV rays. So, they can preserve the paper’s natural look and increase the driveways or pool decks’ longevity.
For a shiny finish and more durability, you can buy a solvent based paver sealer. But these have an odor and higher VOCs than the previous types. Also, they can be a bit slippery, which is a serious issue for some homeowners.
The safest and most eco-friendly option is to go for the water-based sealers. They have almost no odor, easy to clean up, easy to apply and protect the surface from all kinds of damages.
What Is the Best Way to Apply Paver Sealer?
The whole process begins by ordering the best paver sealer and a sprayer or roller. After choosing and getting your hands on the sealer, you should read the instruction manual carefully. It would tell you what type of sprayer or roller you need to buy with the right specifications.
For thin sealers, a sprayer might be a good applicator, and you should choose one with an adjustable nozzle head. For a bit thicker product, you should use rollers and follow the thickness instruction as per the manual.
A Tip: Never buy a sprayer that shoots a narrow stream as it would waste the product. Also, don’t go for a roller with a thin nap because that can’t fill the concrete or stone pores.
Once you have gathered the exact items, you can follow the steps below.
Step 1: Cleaning is the first requirement for sealing a surface.
Because dust particles and oily substances prevent the chemical from doing its job, you should do everything to remove those. After a thorough cleaning, let it dry for more than 24 hours. Also, buy the best paver sealer remover if the surface is already sealed with a product you don’t like.
Step 2: Now, apply the first layer of coating one section at a time.
Have an imaginary mapping of the whole path area in your head and divide them into sections. Find out the exit area and start from the farthest corner of that point. Slowly advance to the exit point, and you wouldn’t have to cross freshly sealed surfaces.
Step 3: If you are using a sprayer, you should do it in a circular motion.
The most cost-efficient way to coat the area is to move the nozzle head in a circular motion. Also, make sure that the sprayer has a wide shooting capability, decreasing the time dramatically.
Step 4: Clean after finishing the job without any break
Finally, you should complete the task without taking any breaks. Whether it is a first-coat or second-coat, clean the tools afterward.
How Much Paver Sealer Do I Need?
First, measure the driveway or your desired area to be sealed. Then, divide the number by 80, and the result would tell you how many gallons of sealers to buy. We divide the total area by 80 because a gallon of sealer can usually cover 80 square feet for one coat.
When can you apply the paver sealer for the first time?
Homeowners who want to seal their pathways for the first time should wait sometime before sealing. If you are using a non-film-forming sealer, it will be okay to apply after a week of paver installation. Otherwise, you should wait for at least 30 days because film-forming types can trap moistures in newly laid paths.
When to apply paver sealer?
After cleaning and completely drying the surface, you can apply the chosen one. Also, make sure that you remove any sand joints in between the blocks before coating the surface.
What is the right temperature to apply sealer on pavers?
According to the experts, it is recommended to apply sealers between 40 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit for the best results.
How long does the best paver sealer need to dry?
Depending on the climate, the time a sealer takes to dry varies. If you live in a warmer region, it should not take more than a couple of hours to dry. On the other hand, you may have to wait up to 24 hours for the applied surface to dry in cooler climates.
How long does a sealer for paver last?
The answer depends on the quality and type of sealer. Usually, 3 to 5 years is the benchmark for the protection durability of a sealer for pavers.
You have already understood that suggesting a single product as the best paver sealer is not possible. However, we narrowed down the list to 3 finalists. The best all-purpose sealer is Masonry Defender.
As you have the list of the best sealer for pavers, you should not wait anymore and let your favorite driveway go bad with time. Pick the right one and order from our links to get the best available price from Amazon.