DISCLAIMER: THERE ARE AFFILIATE LINKS IN THIS POST. THIS MEANS THAT AT NO COST TO YOU, I WILL RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION IF YOU PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINK.
The trolling motor is created for controlling the boat which reduces boat’s noise. Choosing an electric trolling motor that will meet all of your wants and expectations is perhaps the foremost difficult call you’ll create.
It will help if you scrutinize all the variables in boats and conditions, which are essential. Because it isn’t stunning that anglers repent on their decision once they hit the water.
In this article, we will clarify the trolling motor and its usage. The most significant issue is that the patrons struggle to make calls that what size battery for trolling motor will need? Let’s learn the details.
What is a trolling motor?
A Trolling motor could be a self-contained unit that is battery supercharged and controlled via hand, foot lever, or remote furthermore includes a propellor. It is set on the bow or stern and used for moving a watercraft through the water methodically and quietly. Moreover, it helps to avoid spooking the fish.
What Is A Trolling Motor Used For?
The trolling motor permits a ship to remain in one spot once fighting against current or wind while not deploying a physical anchor. It additionally offers maneuverability, mobility, and fishability throughout the day.
This motor is the proper tool to move and maneuver a ship when one doesn’t wish to start a loud outboard engine. Trolling motors additionally use for linking up with fish-finder natural philosophy, and it will keep in one spot supported GPS location.
What Are The Types Of Batteries For Trolling Motor?
We can divide the Trolling motor battery type into two sorts, such as:
1.Cranking or Starter Boat Batteries;
2.Deep Cycle Batteries.
Cranking or Starting boat batteries:
This starter battery is designed to start your main engine and discharge an outsized current for short bursts. Starter batteries can’t perform below 50% energy level. The deep cycle marine battery comes with cranking Amps (CA) rating found on a battery’s label measures a battery’s beginning power. Also, don’t forget about cold-cranking amps so that you don’t get into trouble in the winter.
Deep Cycle Batteries:
Deep cycle batteries are associate energy storage unit during which a chemical change happens that develops voltage and ends up in electricity. These batteries’ style is to cycle (discharge and recharge) repeatedly.
There are different kinds of deep cycle batteries, such as:
AGM batteries (Absorbed Glass Mat): AGM stands for Absorbed Glass Mat and also are observed as a Valve-Regulated lead-acid battery (VRLA) or Sealed Lead-Acid (SLA) battery. AGM batteries use electrolyte absorbed mats. This permits oxygen to recombine with hydrogen gas to replenish the battery’s water content and alleviate refilling requirements. AGM batteries are maintenance free that can also serve as a dual-purpose battery.
Gel batteries: Gel batteries are full of a liquid solution gelled with silicates before the battery is sealed. They’re maintenance-free, sealed, low-temperature tolerant, shock/vibration resistant and have long cycle life.
Wet-Cell Boat Batteries: The standard lead-acid batteries we tend to all are familiar with the wet-cell or “flooded-cell” batteries. Every wet-cell battery contains a liquid mixture of sulfuric acid and distilled water. Lead Acid Wet-Cell batteries are the highest standard and cheap option for trolling motors.
What Size Battery For Trolling Motor: The Ultimate Guide
We have already mentioned the kinds of battery. Now, we’ll look for the boat battery size. As a result of the battery’s incorrect size, you’d be out of power to run your trolling motor that interprets to be stranded, and it reduces the life span of the battery.
You initially have to be compelled to check out the space you’ve got obtainable for your trolling motor batteries in your boat. If you are attempting to put a trolling motor rated at 105 pounds of thrust on the back of your canoe or small boat, you may need to use three batteries, and you need to make sure of enough space for three batteries, yourself, and all your gear.
Now you ought to contemplate what quantity you’re going to use the trolling motor or what’s the capability of your trolling motor battery? Therefore, when you are looking for these queries, you should calculate the battery capacity of your trolling motor.
Two factors you’ll need to consider:
- Amperage-hour rating: It’s the measure of the quantity of charge the battery will hold. Different motors draw different amounts of current depending on the scale and, therefore, the engines’ speed of rotation.
An electric battery with a 115 Amp Hour Rating can beat a 100 Amp-hour rated battery in terms of endurance. If a trolling motor runs at low speed and pulls solely four amps, the battery will last up to (100Amp hour rating/4 Amps) = 25 Hours.
However, if it is drawing 40 amps, then the battery would last for 2.5 hours. So, the larger the score, the longer it’ll power your battery to operate at a particular speed.
- Ampere draws of the motor: Another crucial issue is that the ampere draw of the motor. The measure of the ampere drawn by the engine per watts from the battery provided the constant speed.
Now having these two pieces of information, all you need is to divide the ampere-hour rating by the motor amperage draw. You’ll get to understand the calculable battery lifetime of the battery of your trolling motor.
For example, let’s assume the battery voltage is 12V.
If I would like to understand what size battery for a 36lb trolling motor is employed and its lifespan? The solution is we can use a 360W battery, and its Amp-hour rating is 29AH.
The Amp draws going to be = (360/the voltage of battery 12V) = 30 Amps.
So, the life span= (Amp-hour rating/Amp draws) = (29AH/30Amps) = 0.96Hour.
We will also contemplate what size battery for 55lb trolling motor is needed together with its runtime?
Its battery requires 624W, and the amp hour rating is 52AH.
Amps Draw =(624W/12V) = 52 Amps.
So, Runtime = (52AH/52Amps) = 1 Hour.
From the above discussion, you may have learned how you can calculate the capacity of your trolling battery. So, whenever you buy a battery for your marine trolling motor, you should calculate the amps rating and the runtime of your trolling battery. It will help you to choose the best battery for your trolling motor.
For your convenience, we tend to list the four best trolling motor batteries that you can purchase from Amazon, and are perfect for electric motor.
1. Odyssey 34M-PC1500ST TROLLING Thunder Marine Dual Purpose Battery
- Odyssey Extreme Series Marine Battery Model 34M-Pc1500St (Group 34 With Tin-Plated Sae Posts, 3/8 Inch Positive And 5/16 Inch Negative Thread Ss Stud Terminals) Like An Athlete That Is Both A Sprinter And A Long Distance Runner, The Odyssey Marine Dual Purpose Battery Has Both Massive Starting Power And Amazing Deep Cycling Capability - Up To 400 Cycles At 80% Depth Of Discharge
- With Twice The Overall Power And Three Times The Life Of Conventional Marine Batteries
- Through Creativity, Productivity And Innovation - This Brand Continues To Develop The Finest Automotive Accessories
This Odyssey 34M battery is a dual purpose battery that may be stored for two years along with four years replacement guarantee. It’s maintenance-free. The impressive Cold-Cranking Amps of 850 and deep cycling capability make it an unprecedented battery pack for electric trolling motor.
2. Optima Batteries 8052-161 D31M BlueTop Starting and Deep Cycle Battery
- 12-Volt, 900 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 12 13/16" x 6 1/2" x 9 3/8" tall, Weight: 59.8 pounds, Dual SAE & 5/16" Stainless Steel Stud Posts
- Reserve capacity of 155 minutes for constant performance
- Optimal starting power even in bad weather; Fifteen times more resistant to vibration for durability
- This item is not for sale in Catalina Island
- Special Shipping Information: This item cannot be returned and has additional shipping restrictions
This Optima battery has a Cold-Cranking Amps of 900, and it’s a very impressive reserve capacity of 155 minutes for consistent performance. Verified purchasers claim this battery is used for storing the boat for fishing within the summer or the winter.
3. Universal Power Group 12V 100Ah Solar Wind AGM SLA DEEP Cycle VRLA Battery 12V 24V 48V
- UPG #45978 UB121000 12V 100Ah
- Dimensions: 12.17 inches x 6.61 inches x 9.16 inches. Weight: 63.93 Lbs
- SLA/AGM maintenance free, spill proof battery
- Rechargeable battery that can be mounted in any position, resists shocks and vibration
- 1 Year Warranty
The Universal Deep Cycle AGM 100AH comes with a one-year guarantee. The battery lasts between 4 to 6 years. You’ll be impressed by the life cycle of this battery product. The battery lasts all day long and still recharges fast.
4. VMAX MR137-120 AGM Sealed Marine AGM Battery 12V 120AH for 50lb -110lb thrust Minn Kota
- 13"*6.8"*8.8h Heavy Duty 12V AGM DEEP CYCLE BATTERY with Float Service Life span of 8 to 10 years.
- Electrolyte Suspension system VMAX tanks utilize an electrolyte suspension system consisting AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) of a high porosity that totally absorb and contain the electrolyte. No silica gels or any other contaminants are used.
- Heavy Duty Grids: VMAX heavy duty lead tin alloys provide an extra margin of performance and service life in either float or cyclic applications, even after repeated over discharges.
- Maintenance Free Operation: There is no need to check specific gravity of the electrolyte or add water to VMAX tanks during float service life. In fact, there is no provision for this type of maintenance. Battery Cables: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NLJBT65?ref=myi_title_dp
- RECOMMENDED CHARGER: VMAX BC1215 12V 15Amp 7-Stage "Smart" Charger/Maintainer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IZV91Q0)
What size deep cycle battery for trolling motor should I use for getting 50-110 pound thrust? The answer is lies in this12V AGM DEEP CYCLE BATTERY. The uniquely-designed Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) layered between the VMAX plates offers this battery extra electrical and physical perks. It’s Mountable in any position to save lots of space.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How often should I charge the trolling motor battery?
You should charge the Trolling motor once each trip. However, don’t need a starting battery charger.
How long will a trolling motor run for on a battery?
It depends on the speed. If you run the motor moderately to constantly at slow speeds, it may run for 6-8 hours, and if you provide pressure on the engine, it may run 2-3 hours.
What size battery for 24v trolling motor should I get?
Two 12Volt batteries are required for a 24V trolling motor, and they should be connected in series.
What size battery for 40lb trolling motor is needed?
The 12Volt battery with a maximum current of 35 Ampere and requiring max power is 420 Watt.
Can I use a car battery for a trolling motor?
A car battery is 12 Volts and might power your trolling motor; however, the car battery can dramatically have a shorter time if you decide to deep-cycle your motor for trolling applications.
What size battery do I need for a 55 lb thrust trolling motor?
We know that 55 lb thrust trolling motor draws 40 amps; so, you should buy at least 120 Ah battery to get 3 hours of runtime at full load.
What size battery for trolling motor for kayak to get?
You can get a 12V deep cycle battery if you are using a 12V trolling motor.
What size lithium battery for trolling motor to buy?
The size of the lithium battery for your trolling motor depends on the size of the motor and the runtime requirement.
What size battery for a 30lb trolling motor to purchase?
For a decent runtime, you can consider getting a 12V 110Ah battery to run your 30lb electric trolling motor.
What size batteries for 36lb trolling motor are suitable?
The same group 27 batteries for 30lb motor are suitable for 36lb ones but you would get reduced runtime. Get more Ah rating for more runtime.
The above discussion conveys the trolling motor and clears the confusion on what size battery for trolling motor you should buy.
Now, we hope the anglers may find his fascinating battery on his trolling motor and luxuriate in fishing and maneuver throughout the spring.