For the longevity of the woodwork, sealers play a great role. Especially if you have a deck, fence or some wooden structure outside your house. You should use sealers because woods are very vulnerable to weather.
Water, rain, UV ray and moisture in the air are the culprits that reduce wood’s lifetime. Sealers create a separate layer on the so that the wood cannot be affected directly. Redwood typically last more than 20 years. Applying sealers would greatly extend their lifetime.
Don’t worry; we’ve got you covered. After hours of research, we have made a list of the best redwood sealer. Let’s take a look.
Our selected top products for best redwood sealer:
- Best overall: Ready Seal 520 Exterior
- Best budget: Olympic Stain 56504-1
- Best for furniture: HOPE’S Tung Oil Furniture Sealer
- Best anti-rotting: TotalBoat Clear Penetrating Epoxy Wood Sealer
- Best for deck: KILZ Premium High-Hide Stain Blocking Interior
Benefits of Sealing Redwood
Besides the quality, the color and shade redwood provide a certain appeal. They are one of the best in terms of quality. But even the best things need maintenance.
Using sealer helps with two things. It increases longevity, and the wood can retain the real color. The sealer layer also minimizes the dust and other particles that tend to get stuck on the wood. So, you get to keep the wood’s royal color shade while also getting a long lifetime.
Why Is Sealing Redwood Better Than Painting?
Though some might look at the painting as a viable option instead of sealing, it has some drawbacks. Here is why sealing would be a better option:
Painting hides the real color of the wood. It would be a shame to cover up such a majestic color of redwood. Some people like redwood solely for their color. Sealers come in transparent and semi-transparent varieties. So, you could keep the original colors.
Another thing is that painting traps moisture. The moisture affects the wood and speeds up the decaying rate. In contrast, the sealer makes a layer so that moisture could not get mixed up with the wood.
Accessories you may need:
Clear surface aerosol: Thompsons TH.010100
Brush: Deck Stain Brush Applicator
Deck Stain pad: Shur-Line 1791257 Deck Stain Pad
Gloves: Chemical Resistant Gloves
Applicator: OLD MASTERS 30500 Stain Applicator
Best redwood sealer: Our Honest Review
1. Best Overall: Ready Seal 520 Exterior
- Requires no primer. Ready Seal is darkest when first applied. It reaches its true color in approximately 14 days. Do not apply Ready Seal over painted or newly stained surfaces. Sealed surfaces inhibit penetration.
- May be applied using sprayer, roller or brush onto the woods surface.
- Requires no back brushing and will nerver leave runs, laps, or streaks.
- Requires no wet-line application, the product will blend itself and can be applied in any temperature range for proper application.
- Requires no diluting or thinning prior to spray applications.
We chose the Ready Seal 520 because it is a sealer and stain in one package. Having the qualities of sealer, it possesses some features of the stains too. This is the best exterior redwood sealer.
Another main benefit you will get from this item – is formulated to seal the wood against moisture. The sealer and stain combination within itself raise the quality of finish, saves time and eliminates the extra cost.
A Tip: Using a brush or pad is okay. But for the best result, use a sprayer.
Ready Seal 520 Exterior does not need any primer or thinner; there is no need for back brushing. You won’t require any wet-line applications. It can be applied at any temperature.
This sealer is semi-transparent. It allows the texture and grain to remain visible while enhancing beauty. Due to its unique formula, the sealer penetrates deep into the wood. As a result, it provides better protection from mold, moisture, mildew and damaging UV rays.
The chance of getting scratch is very low. Because it penetrates the wood rather than creating a coat over it, you probably won’t see any scratch on the surface for regular usage.
This product meets the VOC level requirement in all of the US. VOC or Volatile Organic Compounds are chemicals that become gas at room temperature. Those gas particles cause irritation, headache, nausea, etc. But you won’t have to worry about that because the requirement is already met.[joomdev-wpc-pros-cons disable_title=”yes” button_text=”Shop Now on Amazon” disable_button=”yes” button_link=”” button_link_target=”_BLANK” button_rel_attr=”nofollow”][joomdev-wpc-pros]
- lasts longer
- Great at repelling water
- Low VOC level
- High price
- Color fades in the first few weeks
Who should buy it?
If you are looking for the best redwood stain and sealer, and budget is not an issue, this would serve you the best. The quality of service justifies the price. Click here to check what users say about the best outdoor redwood sealer.
2. Best Budget: Olympic Stain 56504-1
- Enhanced waterproofing protection to help make sure your wood is protected from cracking due to water
- Provides a mildew resistant coating to help prevent stains and discoloring
- Advanced sunblock uv defense helps protects your wood from dangerous uv rays that can wear d the coating
- Manufacturer: PPG
This is a budget-friendly sealer with great features like all-weather application, fade resistance, etc. These are the top reasons we picked it.
However, the best benefit of this product is its affordable price. It provides the best service considering the price you will have to pay for this.
A Tip: Solid color will need two coats.
This product not only has a low price but also comes with many variants. They come clear, transparent, semi-transparent and solid colors. Unless you have a color preference, solid color is the best for durability, fade protection, and waterproofing. On the other hand, clear one scores lowest on those matrices, but it has high wood grain visibility.
You can apply it even when it is too cold or hot. So, the timing won’t be a headache. It also has advanced sunblock UV technology. This feature makes it fade resistant and saves the wood from UV rays.
It is very efficient. With 1 gallon, you could cover approximately 250-300 sq feet of area. So, you will be saving money here too. You will need to apply it once every year. Because in most cases, the coats only last about a year.[joomdev-wpc-pros-cons disable_title=”yes” button_text=”Shop Now on Amazon” disable_button=”yes” button_link=”” button_link_target=”_BLANK” button_rel_attr=”nofollow”][joomdev-wpc-pros]
- Low price
- Great features
- Comes in variants
- Coat color does not always match
- Sometimes does not last longer
Who should buy it?
If you are looking for affordable and quality sealant, you have found it. To learn more, visit this page.
3. Best for Furniture: HOPE’S Tung Oil Furniture Sealer
- Exotic, naturally drying oil imported from South America and China
- Ultimate drying oil for all fine woods
- Forms a low gloss hand rubbed finish
- Oil is not thinned or diluted
- Resistance to moisture and alcoholic drinks
Most of the sealants made to beat the tough exposures that fences, decks face. Furniture is often ignored. We chose this because it is specially made for furniture.
The main ingredient is Tung oil. This oil penetrates deep into the fiber of the wood and becomes a part of it. It protects the wood from alcohol, moisture and everyday wear and tear.
A Tip: Dilute the solution in a 2:1 ratio for best penetration in the wood and better durability
Unlike other sealers, it goes deep into wood fiber and becomes a part of it. So, no layer forms on the surface. It protects the wood from moisture and alcohol from within. It not only makes the wood shiny but also makes it more durable.
You will need to use a solvent like citrus, turpentine, etc. Which means you are in control of heavy or light texture. The Tung oil reacts with oxygen very slowly. For this reason, it will last for a long time before you will need to apply it again.
You use it for the wooden utensil too. It has approval from the FDA. That means you can apply this on the surfaces where you keep your food. You won’t have to worry about the health implications.[joomdev-wpc-pros-cons disable_title=”yes” button_text=”Shop Now on Amazon” disable_button=”yes” button_link=”” button_link_target=”_BLANK” button_rel_attr=”nofollow”][joomdev-wpc-pros]
- Gives a shiny vibe
- Leaves great scent
- Has a long life
- Takes a long time dry
- Not safe around pets. They think of it as food
Who should buy it?
This item is great for things that won’t have face rough exposure. If you need a sealer for furniture, this is the best sealer for redwood furniture. To learn more, check out this page.
4. Best anti-rotting: TotalBoat Clear Penetrating Epoxy Wood Sealer
- WOOD HARDENER FOR ROTTED WOOD: two-part epoxy system seals, hardens, preserves, and protects all types of wood by stopping rot. Makes finishes like paint and varnish stick better and last longer. Easy to use treatment has no VOCs or harsh fumes
- PENETRATING WOOD SEALER: An ideal dry rot treatment; this marine-grade epoxy resin is perfect for wooden boat restoration, wood repairs, and woodworking projects. Seal bare or new wood to protect against mold, mildew, moisture, and fungus
- CLEAR LOW VISCOSITY RESIN WITH MANY USES: Use on all softwoods, including cedar, cypress, fir, pine and redwood. Use on all hardwoods, including ipe, mahogany, maple, oak, and teak. Use on butcher block, live edge slabs, particle board, plywood, and OSB
- WOOD ROT REPAIR EPOXY AVAILABLE IN TWO FORMULAS: Choose regular formula Penetrating Epoxy for 65-90 degrees F temps; Choose Cold Weather Penetrating Epoxy for 40-65 degrees F temps (Do not use Cold Weather formula above 65 F)
- CHOOSE THE RIGHT EPOXY KIT SIZE FOR YOUR PROJECT: Both formulas are available in Pint, Quart, Half-Gallon, and Gallon sizes. Simple 2 parts resin to 1 part hardener mix ratio for reliable results every time. Easy cleanup with soap and water
We placed it into our list because it is a great product to use for rot prevention.
It has marine grade epoxy resin that helps to restore the rotten wood. Not only would you be able to restore the wood but also prevent further rotting.
A Tip: Mix with acetone for more penetrating power.
This product comes in two variants. They are traditional and cold weather. The traditional is suitable for 65-90F temperature. And, as the name suggests, cold weather formula should be used when the temperature is around 40-65.
The main ingredient of this sealer is two-part epoxy resin. It seals, hardens and protects the wood from rotting. There is no harsh fume or VOC. So, they won’t affect your health in any way.
Its low viscosity makes with suitable for not only redwood but also other types. Another great thing is that it can be hot-coated even without sanding between coats.
This TotalBoat Epoxy seals the wood to prevent and repair the damage. It can be thinned as per requirement. You can also mix it with thickening or filler agents.[joomdev-wpc-pros-cons disable_title=”yes” button_text=”Shop Now on Amazon” disable_button=”yes” button_link=”” button_link_target=”_BLANK” button_rel_attr=”nofollow”][joomdev-wpc-pros]
- Low odor
- Reinforces wood
- No VOC
- Applying the procedure is tricky
- Takes a lot of time to dry up
Who should buy it?
In case you have a wooden structure getting rot, especially a wooden boat, then this one is a must-try sealer. To learn more about this sealant, click here.
5. Best for Deck: KILZ Premium High-Hide Stain Blocking Interior
- This powerful stain-blocking water-base formula seals surfaces, helps to achieve a uniform finish, hides stains and previous colors and offers excellent adhesion to most interior and exterior surfaces.
- KILZ Premium offer just the right consistency for a smooth and level finish that seals porous surfaces and fills in small imperfections. It features mildewcide protection to prevent mildew and mold.
- With excellent adhesion for most surfaces, use on interior and exterior drywall, plaster, woodwork, paneling, masonry and brick. Ideal for high-humidity areas including bathrooms and laundry rooms.
- Use for color changes, to seal light to medium stains and to minimize surface imperfections caused by texture and porosity differences. For heavy stains, please consider KILZ Max primer.
- This is a 1-gallon can of KILZ Premium High-Hide Stain Blocking Latex Primer/Sealer in white for interior and exterior surfaces. Covers approximately 300-400 square feet per gallon.
It has made a place on our list because of its consistent and leveled finish and adhesion. These two things matter most when sealing a deck.
It has one of the best adhesion ratings. It can stick on almost any surface. Due to the great adhesion, it performs great on both interior and exterior elements.
A Tip: Apply this sealer before applying paint. The paint will last for a long time.
This unit uses a water-based formula to seal the surfaces. It also shows great adhesion to almost all kinds of surfaces. For this reason, you will get a smooth and uniform finish—something every deck owner would love to have.
This product will fill all the small imperfections and seal the porous surfaces. It also offers great protection from mildew and mold. This product has multi-application. You could use it on plaster, woodwork, paneling masonry and etc.
It also has great coverage. You could seal 300-400 sq feet per gallon. So, covering a large area like a deck or fence won’t be much of a problem. It is the best sealer for redwood fences too beside the decks.[joomdev-wpc-pros-cons disable_title=”yes” button_text=”Shop Now on Amazon” disable_button=”yes” button_link=”” button_link_target=”_BLANK” button_rel_attr=”nofollow”][joomdev-wpc-pros]
- Great coverage
- Very thick
- Hides scratches
- Need at least two coats
- Might need ventilation for odor
Who should buy it?
If you have got a large deck to cover, it will get you covered. This is the best redwood deck sealer. Check out user reactions to assess its performance.
What to Consider Before Buying Best Redwood Sealer? (The Buying Guide)
You will find many sealers on the market. They all are not equal in the term of quality. Some are made with redwood in mind; some are not. Here are the things you should look for to pick the best sealer.
There are three types of redwood available. They are Dawn redwood, giant sequoia, and coast redwood. Though you can use a sealer on any of them, it is better to know the type.
Because there will always be something for you to micromanage to get the best performance from the sealer. Like three different species have different wood structure, texture and color. You will be able to pick the better sealer if you know as much as you can about the wood you are using.
You could be working on a fence, deck or furniture. Keep it in mind that different work-pieces will get different exposure. If you make a fence, it will constantly be battling with the weather. The deck will have to face all kinds of weather. In case you are working on furniture, that thing might not have to experience weather outside at all.
So, depending on the level of exposure, you will have to choose a different type of sealer. Some sealers are produced for furniture. Applying that one to the fence will be expensive and might not yield a good result. For this reason, it is better to pick sealer considering the exposure the work-piece will face.
You will see mainly two types of main ingredients for sealer. Those will be oil-based or epoxy-based. Though both works in the same way. There is plenty of difference. Both have different longevity, adhesion and composition. They are made different because they have different applications.
Oil-based ones are better for furniture. They put a delicate layer and give the wood a glossy color. If put on the outside, the performance may deteriorate. Because these are not made for heavy exposures. On the other hand, epoxy-based sealers can handle all kinds of exposures. But they wouldn’t feel good on the furniture surface. So, pick accordingly.
This factor is often forgotten. Sealers come in many forms and packs. There are quarts, 1 gallon, 5-gallon packs. The lowest amount you could get is a quart. So, the price of the same thing varies depending on the amount. Buying more will save you some bucks per unit.
Like, you wouldn’t need a 5-gallon pack if you want to seal a chair. On the other hand, buying many in small forms does not make sense. So, get an estimate and buy the amount you need. The standard is to apply 2 gallons per 500 sq feet of area. 1 gallon would roughly cover 250-400 sq feet of area.
This could be a new term for you. Goof proof means the ease of use. If something is easy for everyone to use, that is called goof-proof.
For comparisons, applying stains need technical expertise. You will have to call for professional services. One the other hand, most sealers don’t require ant expertise. Anyone will apply if the follow the right procedure. Look for goof-proof sealers if you want to save money and apply them yourself.
Sometimes, these products have VOC or harsh fumes in them. The term VOC translates into Volatile Organic Compound. They turn into gas when put in room temperature. The harsh fumes and VOC are both health hazards. Those gas particles cause nausea, headache, irritation, etc.
So, check before buying, and take all the necessary precautions when using a sealer with those chemicals.
Applications of sealers are not limited only to woods. Some allow them to apply them on iron, plaster, mason work, even on paints. So if you have one of these prospects, you should look thoroughly at applications. If you can use the same item in different places, that would be very convenient.
Because buying other sealers separately would drive the cost up.
Best Time to Seal the Redwood Deck
After your wooden work is done, you should apply the sealer. It is standard practice to wait for 9 to 11 months. In this way, woods get plenty of time to open the pores and settle down.
So, when you apply sealers, more would get into the wood. There also remains the risk of moisture getting hold. But the optimal resting period should be 25 to 30 weeks. Maximum pores will be open by then, and moisture interference will be low.
Another thing to keep in mind that always make sure it is a sunny day. Fog and rain tend to interfere with sealing. Also, the heat of the sun plays a significant role in the sealer to set optimally.
Applying Sealer on Redwood
Applying sealers is not difficult. You could call services or apply them yourself. You could save a few bucks if you do it yourself. Here is how you should apply sealers.
- At first, do a pressure wash. Use a minimum of 1500 psi. Then wait for the wood to dry out completely.
- Get proper eye protection. Eyes could get severe damage if somehow sealers get into them. Also, wear gloves, long sleeves.
- Now it turns to use cleaner. Use chemical cleaners if the piece is really damaged. Otherwise, use regular cleaners.
- Now get the brush or pad. Using them apply sealer on the woodwork. Apply carefully so that no bits go missing. For the best result, use a sprayer.
- Apply the second coating after the proper interval.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What should the moisture content of wood when sealing?
Ans: 12% or less.
How much area can be covered per gallon?
Ans: 250-400 sq feet.
Does VOC affect health?
Ans: If precautions are not taken properly, yes.
Does sealer kill plants and grass?
Ans: Heavy spray will kill plants and grass.
Should I use a pressure washer when cleaning the deck?
Ans: Of course, yes.
When is the best time to apply sealer?
Ans: Spring and fall. When applying, avoid direct contact with sealer and sunlight.
After the last nail has been placed, redwoods are prone to all kinds of wear and tear. The deck and fence or other exteriors often face harsh exposures for the environment. As a result, their expected lifetime gets reduced. To extend their lifetime, the Best redwood sealer should be used.
You can pick any from our review without any hesitation. They are well proven in categories and performance.